1st TM and need local anesthesia...Safe?

iVillage Member
1st TM and need local anesthesia...Safe?
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 6:19pm

Hi all,
Have a question and hoping someone out there has some experience in this area...
I am 7 1/2 weeks pregnant and just saw a dermatologist today to look at a suspicious mole. Sure enough she said it has to come off. At first she said she wanted to wait until I was 13 weeks due to the epinephrine in the local anesthetic, but then said she could use lidocaine without the epinephrine and do it sooner if I preferred.

I called my OB's office who thought lidocaine in first TM was ok, although I spoke to the nurse and not my OB, so unsure what she actually said. From what I've read online the data is conflicting. Some sources say lidocaine is ok anytime in pregnancy, others say only in 2nd and 3rd TM, and others say not all all!

I am nervous about the mole as my dad was just diagnosed with melanoma in situ, so I do want to get it off ASAP but do not want to do anything that might harm the baby. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Betsy

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 1:31pm

get the mole off, Betsy. Lidocaine is fine...just like dental work...they don't want to be doing elective stuff, but if you have need of a root canal etc, they will do it and they WILL freeze you. It is only a one time thing, you'll be fine. The last thing you need to worry about while PG is the mole that could get worse.

That reminds me...I need to see a dermatologist myself.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2010 - 6:29pm
Thanks Krista!
I think I going to go ahead with it now. Or at least within the next couple of weeks. I put off going to the dermatologist for so long. Hadn't really been checking my own skin either and then when I finally did I found this weird looking mole. Anyways I think it will make me feel better to just get it off.
Thanks again and good luck to you!
Betsy
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 11:26am
Hi Betsy. I'm a little late in responding but I wanted to add that when I was still breastfeeding, I had to have local anesthesia for a minor procedure on my wrist. When I asked about the safety of it, he explained that local anesthesia is generally safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding because it stays "local" to the area it's administered and doesn't work its way through the body. Good luck with the procedure.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 7:45pm
Thank you Joan!
I did have it done last week. After everything I've read it does sound like it is nothing to worry about. Thank you for your response!
-Betsy