Preventing pregnancy....

iVillage Member
Preventing pregnancy....
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 4:19pm
I know this might not be the right place to post, but I have no idea where to even look.... I am 40 and just had my last baby four weeks ago. My husband said he'd get a vasectomy when we found out I was pregnant, but now, 10 months later, still no vasectomy. I'm wondering what my options are (due to my age) on how to NOT get pregnant. If my husband is not getting a vasectomy, then I'm not willing to get a tubal. I think I'm too old for the pill.... Any ideas? Thanks!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-19-2010 - 8:58pm
My mom got pregnant with that option. My older sister was the result of that method. Us kids were all birth control mistakes.
Shona
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-17-2010 - 11:35am
I'm expecting my son because we weren't diligent about using Natural Family Planning - and I went almost 7 years without a slipup.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2010 - 1:12pm
Hey Karen. My statement about thinking I was pregnant (probably about two months ago) was buried in one of Val's posts. I didn't state it in its own post because I knew there was a possibility I wasn't. But for about two weeks, I was suffering from what felt like the "classic" pregnancy symptoms and I think I convinced myself I was. I finally tested and it was negative. Whew! Glad to see you're still checking in. Take care. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2010 - 11:45pm

Oh, wow, Joan, how did I miss that one? You thought there was a chance you were pregnant again? I've heard--and been warned by my concerned OB, lol-- that fertility can be much higher soon after childbirth, and also not to count of breastfeeding as a form of birth control (in a similar vein as NFP).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2010 - 10:15am

Very well said, Val.

BTW, I'm not pregnant (at least that I know of -- I tested about a month ago and got a negative result). Both relieved and disappointed (how that possible???). I'm scheduled for my tubal ligation Fri, 10/1. The cost of it is 100% covered by the government here in Ontario so no bills for us, thank goodness! : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2010 - 12:35pm

While the Catholic church might like to tout the effectiveness of Natural Family Planning, I like to think that it a better method for achieving pregnancy, rather than to prevent pregnancy! LOL

I, myself, am a product of NFP, but my mother always told me that it was God's plan for me to be born! :) So, I never think of myself as an "accident". That was in the 60s too...long before women were so self-knowledgeable, comfortable with their own bodies, had access to good information, etc.

And although my parents (and myself) are practicing Catholics, my mother's advice to me on my wedding day was "use birth control, Valerie, and I don't mean NFP.) HA!

Little did I know the joke would be on me since I married someone with low sperm count. BUT, that being said, since we are finished with our "family building" I did have a tubal ligation done during my planned c-section. Which BTW...I just got the bill for...wowzer! Thank goodness for health insurance.

But seriously, like Karen said, you've got be diligent and precise when using the NFP method or you will end up with a blessing as Joan did!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 6:50pm
Ha ha. Natural Family Planning works well if a) your cycles are very, very regular and b) you're diligent about keeping track of them. We conceived Joey after DTD on what I thought was day 7 of my cycle....it turned out to be day 14, lol! I didn't realize this until I took a HPT and it was positive. At that very moment, I realized we DTD a week later than what was the "safe" period of my cycle. Oops, my mistake...

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 4:15pm
Both the patch and the pill are now safe for women up to menopause. My over 50 friends who are still getting AF use the patch.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 3:53pm

I have also recently been reading about Natural Family Planning, which is basically keeping track of your cycle and fertile periods and abstaining from sex during those times when trying to avoid pregnancy. Some people swear by this method, though I'm not sure it would be right for me, and I bet most OB/GYN's would question it as a reliable birth control method.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 7:50pm
The Mirena IUD is a safe choice. The hormones emitted from it stay relatively local (as compared to something like the pill, patch, depro, etc.) and I believe the hormones are "safer" that the other hormone BC options. Another added benefit to it is that for most women, after a few months, monthly bleeding ceases. You still get your period, there's just no bleeding because the hormones from the IUD keep the lining of the uterus thin enough that there's nothing to shed each month. Sometimes it takes a week or so for you to not feel it at all, and there can be minor cramping and bleeding during that time, but once it's in, it can stay in for as long as five years. After it's inserted, the doc brings you in at six weeks to check it. I had it inserted after we had our second daughter but at my six week check up, I asked the doc to remove it because we decided to try for another baby. That's another good thing about it -- once it's removed, there are no lasting effects from it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages