I am not a "troll", but a mom...

iVillage Member
I am not a "troll", but a mom...
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 10:54pm
I was so looking forward to potentially coming back here to post if I get pregnant a second time through IVF. I am over 40 and excited about the possibility of having another child. However, in the post below the women from the Down Syndrome board were referred to as trolls. I am from the Down Syndrome board. I have a beautiful daughter who happens to have Down Syndrome. I have been coming to Parents Place and have met wonderful friends on this board, Trying to Conceive over 40 board, Invitro Fertilization board, multiple pregnancy loss boards and finally the Down Syndrome board. Over the years, I have always felt such kindness and have supported other women too.

Tonight I sit with tears streaming down my face, and sobs in my throat as I have been called a troll because my daughter has down syndrome. I guess I don't want to come back to a place filled with such hatred. I would hate to think of what you think about my daughter, if I am a troll for having her and loving her. I don't know if I can come back to Parents Place Boards after this kind of assault.

I request that in the future you please think about others before you let your fingers type out such hurtful comments.

I wish you peace.

Kris

Edited 3/30/2003 11:57:19 PM ET by kj_26

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 11:19pm
Kris, I'm not sure if you know that "troll" is a term that refers to something quite specific on a message board: a person who is not a regular poster, but who just drops in looking to stir up trouble-- either just for fun, or to preach an agenda. I think it comes from fishing terminology, not from the fairy tale monsters. It isn't just a random, nasty name.

I don't think most of the visitors from the DS board intended to stir up trouble, but there are couple of people being *very* insensitive to one of our members. I really think that in all decency the debate should move off that member's thread, which she posted looking for prayers and support.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting