My UltraScreen Shows 1 in 20 for Down's

iVillage Member
My UltraScreen Shows 1 in 20 for Down's
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 6:45am
My doctor called late yesterday to inform me that my maternal blood serum is indicative of a 1 in 20 chance of Down's, which is a little higher than we'd like. So, amnio. I asked what usually happens when these types of numbers come in and he said it's infrequent that something is bad, BUT...not what I had expected. He said the baby's measurements on the UltraScreen (neck size and fluids), are o.k. Has anyone else had this, and what was the outcome. As you can imagine, I'm a little blown away.

Won't be by the computer for a while again, but thanks for your responses if any.

Karen (41, 42 when baby comes)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 9:58am
Karen,

Your test result says that if you were to have TWENTY babies, likely ONE of them would have DS. It doesn't give you any real information about the baby you are carrying; only amnio can tell for sure. All you know now is what we *all* know-- at our age, our odds are increased. My bit of advice: try to relax, have your amnio, and remember that almost all babies born to after 40 Moms are just fine. Your good u/s results are encouraging, too. I wish you peace.

Dawna.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 4:26pm
Dawna, I like the way you explained that. It was very clear -- the difference between any individual baby that one is carrying vs. the relative odds of all 'us' women of a certain age.

Karen, Don't be discouraged. As Dawna said, the amnio will tell you about your own child. Try to relax until you have that test. And I hope you get the chance to stop by again.

BTW -- I'm not familiar with the term 'UltraScreen'. What kind of a test was that?

-Amy. DS (6 next month), #2 EDD Aug/Sept

"To the world you may be one person,
but to one person you just might be the world."

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-27-2003 - 12:37pm
I'm 42 and never had the test you had. I considered the blood test, in conjunction with an ultrasound, but the doctor informed me that because of my age, I'd still have a high risk result. So I went straight to amnio, which was totally normal. If you want to know, then just get the amnio.