went for a High Risk OB/GYN

iVillage Member
went for a High Risk OB/GYN
Mon, 06-02-2003 - 2:58pm
I got a referral for a High Risk OB GYN. Thought it would be in my best interests.. maybe even help me to calm down.

I don't have a DR appt until June 18th.. when I will be 8 weeks along.

Boy even the receptionists were nicer than my current OB's. I didn't care for that office and they were less than sympathetic when I lost my last baby.

Anyone else use a High Risk Dr?

Janet

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-16-2003 - 2:47pm
Hi Janet,

I'll respond to you! I used a high risk OB for prenatal care on my last two pregnancies. She came highly recommended and I was an older mom-to-be. (I didn't even know that until I saw my medical forms marked - I've forgotten the word - something to the effect of "older".) I liked the high tech testing and all the assurances of having a healthy baby, but in the end of both pregnancies I switched to mid-wives in order to have natural births. I thought that the OB gave technically terrific prenatal care, but she focuses on potential problems (as is her training!!) She wanted me to have a hospital birth following several months of placenta previa. I just knew my previa would resolve, and I insisted on follow-up ultrasounds beyond her cut-off date. I finally got an ultrasound at another hospital which showed complete resolution of the previa. Faced with my 2nd opinion, she fretted that my babies' shoulders might be too big for the birth canal...I think she just wanted to keep me! I'm not going back to her a 3rd time. She knows my tricks about getting a "clean bill of health"(y) baby and then cutting her off from the glory of the birth!

Anyway, you've got to find both a doctor and their birthing center that you're compatible with. That's the most important thing. I don't think that necessarily means you have to have a high risk OB, they can be just as clinical as the rest. Happily it sounds like the new one is a big improvement over the old one!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 5:07pm
Thank you for responding.. I am sorry it has taken me this long to notice. :(

I think where I messed up was where I posted this message. I reposted it elsewhere and got a just a few responses

Had my first appt this week and met the midwife whom I really did like - but.. if I use her, will I get to use an epidural? Not sure if I am strong enough to go natural.

we got to see the baby's heartbeat and prayerfully next time we get to hear it. :)

I really appreciate all the time you took to post me back.

Janet

EDD 1/26

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 2:52pm
You'll have to ask the midwife about the epidural. AND you'll have to ask the midwife if she's PERMITTED to do the birth!! I just spoke with an OB office that doesn't allow their midwife to do the deliveries...

The moral of this story is - don't be shy about asking questions and changing doctors or midwives even at 8 months along - it's your birth and you don't want any regrets!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-23-2003 - 5:55pm
we did ask the midwife if she was doing deliveries and she does.

I really never thought about the epidural. I might try and visit with the Doctor though after this next visit. My husband is not shy when it comes to asking questions.. I almost fell on the floor when he asked a few of them. whew.. but, glad he does ask.

thanks for your emails :)

Janet

Photobucket