45 yrs old, 18 dpo (preg, m/c, child)

iVillage Member
45 yrs old, 18 dpo (preg, m/c, child)
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 4:07pm
Hello! I am new to this board, happy to be here & in need of some advice! Last Sep I had an initial consultation appt w/ the RE. DH submitted a sperm sample, then FIL got sick & we never followed up FIL died in Oct, and in Nov I was shocked to find myself pregnant. Well, that lasted only 3 wks. I didn't even get to my first OB appt.

Now I am 18 dpo, and I tested, and had a very faint pink line. I even called to make sure, they said that any line was a positive. So I called my OB. I cannot get in until July 1!!!! I complained, and they let me speak to the nurse. First she told me that they usually don't see anyone until they miss their 2nd period! I told her that I am 45 yrs old, and had a m/c at 3 wks in Nov. She spoke to the doc & called me back. She said to come in on July 1, and there is nothing they could do to prevent m/c before then. She said, "You're body's gonna do what it wants to do." So I set the appt & got a script for pre-natal vits. DH works at a hosp, so we can only see docs assoc w/ that hosp. Part of the scheduling problem is that the OB is going to be on vacation. He is the only OB at this office. I thought about calling the hosp for a referral, maybe someone who specializes in high risk. I also thought about calling the RE. I only saw him once, but maybe his office could help me? I asked the nurse about progesterone, and she said that doc didn't mention it. When I was preg in 1997 w/ my son, I got in the next day to see my OB after my + test. What would you do??

Christine in Milwauke

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 8:37am
Hi, welcome to the board.

Thought I would let you know I share in the waiting game. I am 40, had two m/c and pregnant. I actually did choose a High Risk Doctor this time and the nurse informed me that they too don't see patients until they are 8 weeks pregnant. So, I know how it is to wait and wait wondering if any feeling you have is you losing your baby.. I know how that feels. I even mentioned the m/c but the nurse was unmoved to get me in sooner. I guess our bodies will do what they will? I hate to think of that, and I pray we will all carry to term.

Best wishes to you

Janet

EDD 1/25

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-10-2003 - 9:28pm
Hi Janet! Thanks for the welcome & congrats on your pregnancy!! I did end up calling the RE's office yesterday, and after a little complaining, the person who answers the phone agreed to have nurse call me back. She called today, and I got a blood test. My HCG is at 71. I have no idea what that means, but I have to go back in 48 hrs for another test. Then I'm going to ask for a referral to high-risk OB. I like my regular OB OK, but I'm not happy w/ the way he or his office is treating my pregnancy! I'm not really sure that he is to blame as I have not spoken to him. I disagree w/ the nurse who said that our bodies are gonna do whatever they want, there are things we can do to help.

Christine in Milwaukee

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-11-2003 - 1:10pm

Christine your first HCG @ 71 is a great number you want it higher than 40 at 18dpo. It really doesn't singularly indicate anything other than confirming that you are PG. However, the next draw will give you a number that means more. You HCG should double every 48 hrs so you want to see your number be greater than 170 next time. Did they test your Progesterone too? See if you can get that run. At our advanced maternal age (i hate that tag) sometimes our hormones aren't perfect, I myself am on progesterone as I've tested low in a previous loss.

GL with your next draw and Congratulations! POst your update above in the first folder area as people see it more quickly.

Belly Rubs - Kit (40) 8 wks 2 days w/ # 3