Happy update on gestational diabetes

iVillage Member
Happy update on gestational diabetes
Thu, 06-19-2003 - 7:03pm
Hi All,

I don't post often, but last time I checked in I was in a panic because I'd been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Well, it's been about a month and things are going great. I've completely controlled the condition through diet (and the diet isn't hard at all, it's just kind of tedious and I have to set an alarm to remind myself to eat--which I realize is not a problem for many people!--because you have to eat every 2-3 hours and I tend to forget until my body DEMANDS it. I went in to the perinatologist yesterday and they said it's going so well that I don't even have to go back as long as nothing changes with my blood sugar AND I can reduce the number of times a day I have to prick my finger to test the sugar, which will save my poor, sore fingers! What's more the baby is measuring a compltely normal size (the fear wtih GD is that the baby gets too much glucose and gets too big. Worst case scenario they're born too big, too early with immature lungs). So no insulun, no non-stress tests, no further intervention. Hooray!

On the other hand, she's still breech at 34+ weeks, but I'm hoping that will change. And am going to try moxibustion (Chinese medicine) because I might as well even if it is flaky since it's non-invasive. And if that doesn't work and a version doesn't work well, a scheduled c-section may not be preferable but it's certainly not the worst thing by a long shot!

Anyway, wanted you to know that things are back on track and send support and fear reduction for anyone else out there who might be facing a GD diagnosis. I have found out LOTS of women get it and although it's not a terrific thing to have, everyone I know, even women who've ended up on insulun, have had normal sized babies and both mother and baby have been just fine.

Cheers!

Peggy, 41, edd July 31 with a baby girl

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 9:57am
Great news Peggy!

I'm about 12 weeks pg, so I won't be tested until 14 weeks for GD.(I had it with my last pg) I too am hoping diet control is all I will need, should I have it again.

You will also find the losing your pg weight will be a breeze since you've been on the diet. One of the few 'positives' of GD.

Good luck on the breech - all my babies waited to turn until about 37 weeks, so you still have time.

Barb

EDD 1/5/04

"Maybe our bodies sim

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 3:59pm
Cool Peggy! It was really encouraging to read your post.

The wretched lab LOST my test results so I havce to re-do it this w/e. i have a feeling that I'll be joining you on the diet as I can feel my glucose fluctuating.

Abigail

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-20-2003 - 10:03pm
They lost your results? I hope you didn't have the 3 hour test! I would not want to have to re-take that one.

I had gestational diabetes last pregnancy, so I had to take the 3 hour test at 14 weeks, and then I take it again at 24 weeks. The one I did at 14 weeks was okay (they said I only failed one of the three, whatever that means!) But I'm still trying to eat as if I did have it; it seems better to be cautious.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-03-2003 - 11:05am
Dear Peggy,

Im not sure if you'll be reading this, due to my lateness in reading yours (I'm not around too much lately), but...THANK YOU! I found myself diagnosed with GD and was extremely upset. The good news is that so-far, so-good with the diet. (I, too, have to set my watch alarm to remind myself to eat and test my BGL, etc.) That really is the most difficult thing about it. Choosing the foods is getting easier too.

Another similarity -- my baby (a boy) is breech too! I am only at 31w, but he doesn't seem like he's going to budge. I might try moxibustion too. I am just curious, did you try the ironing-board-leaning-on-the-couch thing? I'm going to start that (for what it's worth) and go swimming to see if that helps. I'm not crazy about the external version...

Well, CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful news about your GD - it's so inspirational.

Thanks again,

Sharon

EDD 8/31
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-03-2003 - 2:59pm
Hi Sharon,

I just saw this. These new boards are so confusing that I thought I hadn't posted that message on GD at all. I was also VERY upset by the GD diagnosis but am much calmer now. I've been doing the diet for about 5 weeks and it's gone fine. My blood sugars are creeping up some (becuase the placenta is getting bigger) but still well within normal. If they're a little high, I step up and down on the front stair of the house for 5 minutes like I"m doing step aerobics and they drop instantly.

As to the breech, I've tried swimming (including doing sommersaults and handstands), chiropractic, moxibustion. No luck. Next week I go in to do a version (after an ultrasound to see if it's possible) but at this point it seems a 50-50 shot of a c-section. And you know what? That's okay. I just keep thinking "healthy baby, healthy mom." That's the only important thing.

Good luck!

--Peggy, 41, edd 7/31 (or a c-section between 7/23-7/25!)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-03-2003 - 4:55pm
Peggy,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have also been doing exercise daily (sometimes 2 or more times), especially after meals. I hope to have results like yours for the remainder of my pregnancy - but, if I end up having to go on insulin, so be it. Ultimately it is the best thing for my baby. Like you said, "healthy baby, healthy Mom"...

About the breech issue - I'm willing to try anything non-invasive for a few weeks to see what might happen, but again - if he doesn't budge - a C-section will be fine. (Bonus: having a tubal ligation at the same time)! And who knows, with the GD, he might be too big for a vaginal delivery anyway...

Good luck with everything! I;m sure it will all be fine. Please keep me updated when you can.

Thanks again - take care,

Sharon

40, EDD 8/31 with a boy