Surprise of the century at age 42!

iVillage Member
Surprise of the century at age 42!
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 3:44pm

Hi, all! I never in a million years thought I'd be posting here. I'm 42 1/2 and found out a little over a week a go that I'm pregnant with my first baby (due in early May, we think). I'd never planned on having kids--I've always been focused my career, traveling, etc. I'm thrilled, but

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 7:57pm

Hi Elizabeth and congratulations!

Shelli, married to Jason for 18 years, mom to Derek(15), Alyssa(12), and Carly (2/26/09)

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 9:16pm
Hello, Elizabeth!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 9:24pm
Welcome and congrats!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-06-2009 - 11:56pm
That's fantastic! Congratulations and welcome.

~ Jodi ~

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 1:05pm
Congratulations!

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 2:03pm

It is exciting, and pretty scary, isn't it? I discovered I was pregnant at the end of July right before my 42nd birthday with my first. DH & I had peacefully accepted that we would not ever have children & purposed to enjoy our nieces & nephews & the children of those around us as much as possible. I was very anxious for many weeks, this was an unexpected gift, and part of me thought there was no way it would actually stick around, but as the early days went by I found myself wanting it to. I couldn't shake the feeling of dread & every time I went in the bathroom I expected signs of the worst. Several friends gave me good advice, embrace it, love it as much as you can & this will help ease the fear. One friend said, the way she understands God and the Universe you don't get pregnant with your first ever out of the blue only to have it be taken away. Comforting, and I wanted to believe this fervently, but that nagging fear kept plaguing me. Passing the 12 week mark helped, we bought a baby toy to celebrate and stayed hopeful.

At 15 weeks,I'm coming to believe that my attitude and actions affect this little one even now so I'm trying to be positive & accepting of whatever comes. I'm doing everything within my ability to eat right, exercise, get plenty of rest and sleep and stay calm so really, that's all I can do.

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 2:04pm

Part 2: I'm long winded on this topic : )

I think part of me still believes this is my one shot-I have no idea whether I could get pregnant again at my age, or whether I'd even want to try. Many people have told me this is part of being a parent—and the concern for your child starts early & never goes away—so I'm embracing it. It's my gestational learning period.

I know the fetus will be hearing soon so I'm singing to it more & thinking about reading aloud soon. I've not really “enjoyed” being pregnant yet, but I'm starting to feel better now in the second trimester so I'm trying to see the positive parts about it. My growing body means the baby is growing too! I look forward to feeling baby movements soon.

Best wishes for you & your new little blessing!

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-08-2009 - 12:57am

Wow, congratulations, Elizabeth! I love these little surprises that come along. 8-) The only advice I would give is to don't over-research pregnancy after 40. There will be a lot of nay-sayers, negativity, etc. I find it too expensive emotionally to go there -- don't have time for people with negative energy. I need people to support me in my quest to conceive. I had an unexpected pregnancy at 27 and have a 15 1/2 yr old, am re-married and we recently decided we want to have one of our own, so I'm still in the TTC pattern and hoping for a BFP very soon.

You will find lots of support and information here. I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months!

*sending you sticky baby vibes*

~Melissa

Just turned 43 on 10/2/09. Would love a BFP for my birthday in October!

TTC naturally, taking PNV, eating healthy, exercising and charting

Mother to a wonderful son, age 15 1/2
~Melissa

Just turned 43 on 10/2/09. Would love a BFP for my birthday in October!

TTC naturally, taking PNV, eating healthy, exercising and charting
Mother to a wonderful son, age 15 1/2

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-10-2009 - 12:15pm

Hi Elizabeth!

I'm also 42, and pregnant with my first. EDD is 6/2/10. While I've always wanted and looked forward to being a mother since I was a little girl, it took me awhile to find Mr. Right. Found him, and have been TTC for a year.

I'm the same as you. So worried about my advanced age, and all the things that can go wrong. We just need to remember that while our chances are greater than if we were younger, the odds are still low. I have a friend who is 42 and getting ready for the arrival of her healthy baby boy this month.

Like one of the other posters said, I do feel like this is my one shot. If I were to m/c I don't know if I'd have the heart to try again knowing it could take just as long as this one did.

All that said, deep down in my gut I feel good about this pregnancy. Once you see the heartbeat a lot of your fears will be alievated. I saw my little ones yesterday. The PA said that there is about a 1% chance of m/c once the heartbeat is established.

So I guess my point is listen to your gut...don't let your head get crazy thoughts going unnecessarily! (easier said than done, I absolutely know!)

Ambur

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 3:32pm
I miscarried 2x before insisting that I be blood tested for a hormone imbalance. Sure enough I was low in Progesterone, the very thing that keeps you pregnant. This is common in women who get pregnant late in life, I was 37. Problem is the doctors won't even consider testing you for this until you've miscarried three times!!! Call your doctor TODAY and have them prescribe progesterone suppositories, use till you complete your 12th week of pregnancy. Using them will not hurt you or your baby either way. You should def be using them by 5 weeks pregnant, 6 weeks at the latest!!! Hurry!!!

Pages