Anyone planning to get CVS or Amnio?

iVillage Member
Anyone planning to get CVS or Amnio?
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 2:19pm

Hi,

I had the first trimester screening with my DD (now 3) and found that I needed more assurance and got an amnio. Everything turned out aOK. Now at 43, I'm 11 weeks preggers thanks to IVF. IVF also adds a certain ammount of risk. Now I'm told they only offer sequential screening, which is a test in your first trimester and one in your 2nd to get assess your risks for Downs.

But I know I will probably need more assurance and am wondering if I should try CVS since it seems like doctors are doing these more often these days. But there is still a slightly higher risk associated with it than Amnio.

What are you gals doing?

Jo dd 5.9.10

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 3:09pm

This is a hot issue for some (although not for me)... : )

I told my doc I wanted to forego all screening and go straight for the amnio. I did the same thing with my youngest daughter who's now 21 mos old. For me and for my husband, this is the only way we'll be able to rest comfortably throughout the rest of my second and third trimester. My odds for any chromosomal abnormality are 1:42 (something like 1:60 for just DS) so although it's still favorable that nothing will be wrong with the baby, we want to know for sure. My doc was real good about it. He told me there was one doc in our town who did amnios but he would rather send me to Mt. Sinai in Toronto (which is a seven hour drive from where I live) to have it done by "the best of the best" (I'm sure that's debatable) rather than by someone who doesn't do them regularly. I was pleased that he wasn't willing to take any further unnecessary risk with the procedure. I know a lot more people are opting to have the CVS done. My asked my doc about it and he didn't want me to consider it; he preferred that I go for the amnio. I didn't get into why, maybe it's just his personal preference for his patients. No doc in our town does the CVS either so maybe that has something to do with it.

This is just what's right for us. I'm the kind of person who needs to know and until I do, will just ponder and ponder all the "what could be's". So this works for us.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 5:25pm

ok here's my dealeo and point of view on testing in general

43 in this pregnancy due 5.12.10 and had my last dd at 40 with that pregnancy we didn't have amnio or cvs. This time around since I'm 3 years older I am considering amnio, in fact we have decided that this time around it's best to know if our bundle will come with any surprises.

Here's how I, and my ob, see these tests in general--and yes it can get touchy for some people-- you get cvs in early pregnancy so you have the option of getting an abortion if the results are not what you want. If you wait till it's the right time for an amnio were talking pregnancy termination if you don't like the results.

For me and mine we would never terminate a pregnancy under any circumstance. We look at these tests as informational only. Hey if we're gonna have a disabled child we would like to have time to prepare. So since we are still not thrilled with the risk level of the cvs we are going with the amnio.

So to each his own... and this works for us :)

Photobucket

Brandi xmas

Madelyn Avery
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 5:49pm

Wow we are so similar. I had my DD at 40 and now at 43, am due with #2 on 5/9.

Thanks for your thoughts. It is a very personal decision but it helps to hear others thought process. My first trimester tests will be back on Monday. Hoping that helps clear things a bit, but since they are not 100%...like the other poster, I know in my heart I will have to be sure to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy and will probably opt for an amnio, or maybe a cvs, depending on the results.

Good luck and congrats. Looking forward to the first trimester being over soon!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 6:47pm
Actually, there are new studies on the CVS (one is a 20 year study) and the risk is virtually identical to Amnio. I have had a CVS and plan to have one again. People do testing for a variety of reasons, and not necessarily to end the pregnancy if given undesirable news. I am 'find out early' so lots of time to deal/plan/prepare kind of person. But I can understand why one would choose no testing as well. It's a very personal decision and there is no right or wrong decision. If anyone would like info on what the CVS procedure was like, I'd be happy to share.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 8:23pm

Hi, this is an interesting discussion.

I am 42 and 14.5 weeks pg, due April 17.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 8:52pm
I had my dd a few months before turning 40....I'm now 42 and due with #2 in May...12 weeks along. We didn't do the amnio with my dd but are probably going to do it this time around. I will be having a c section again, have no family close by to help....so I feel it's important to be prepared/educated if we are going to have a special needs baby. I'm also the type that worries like crazy and to have some sort of peace of mind during my second/third trimester would be nice too. We haven't told anyone that I'm even pregnant yet! Are waiting until I feel a little more at ease and not so anxious. Cath
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 9:46pm

Hi matti,

I am interested in knowing what your experience was with the cvs procedure. I have opted to have it done. I'm 42 years old and 5 weeks pregnant.

Thanks

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 1:38am

Hi--

I'm 41 and will be delivering my 7th child in January.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-22-2009 - 7:56pm

I am 44 (turning 45 on Saturday actually) and had an amnio with our first DS, who is now turning 4. This time around we had a CVS test because of my age and to be prepared, as a previous poster said. We'd rather have had time to make decisions if faced with a child with disabilities.

I am a big proponent of these tests although I know they are not for everyone.

Victorria

Mom to Gus 11-17-05 (Cranbabies Board)

EDD March 22, 2010

pregnancy

Victorria
Mom to Heath 3-18-10

http://www.victorria.com/The_Wytcherley_Way/Photos.html#7

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 1:18pm

I'm not matti but I can share with you my experience with a cvs.

We went in at 11 weeks and had the genetic counseling that usually occurs before a cvs or amnio. They tell you what trisomy disorders they are looking for, and the degree of severeness if they do find them. If you ask for FISH results, you will have the major three Trisomy disorders checked first and the sex if you want it within 24 hrs. Then it takes a full 2 weeks for the culture to grow so that they can check all the chromosones.

The procedure, for me, was painless. The doctor did it transvaginally because my placenta was posterior, and it felt just like a pap smear and took about a 1 minute to do. I was able to watch along on the US screen to see where the needle was going and how it didn't get even close to the baby. They went out of the room with the sample to see if they had enough to grow a culture, and then they came back in and said we were good. The doctor suggested I may have some bleeding or spotting later in the day and to rest for the remainder of it. I went home, put my feet up and didn't have any spotting or bleeding at all, just some mild cramping and that was it.

For me it was extremely simple. We are getting our big U/S this week (I'm be 19 1/2 weeks) and to check to make sure there is no spina bifida (the CVS does not detect this but the amnio does), and that my little boy is measuring correctly. We did opt for the FISH results and we learned the sex too right away.

Good luck if you decide to do this. The hospital we went to in downtown Pittsburgh is now for its Women's care and the doctors do these tests every tuesday and thursday. I felt comfortable with their level of experience and expertise, and as a pp said these practices are becoming much more common and the risks for amnio and cvs are pretty much the same.

Victorria

EDD March 22, 2010

pregnancy

Victorria
Mom to Heath 3-18-10

http://www.victorria.com/The_Wytcherley_Way/Photos.html#7

Pages