Differences between 30 and over 40

iVillage Member
Differences between 30 and over 40
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 5:44pm

I'm starting to look seriously about TTC again, I have 2 boys 14 & 10.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-23-2009 - 9:59pm
Hi there and congratulations on thinking about TTC!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 12:41am

Hi!

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 12:30pm

Hello
well I guess I am the old broad on the board I am 46 ( turning 47) and currently pregnant with Twin boys, i am the mother to 5 other children ages are 25,23,21,18,and 8 . I have been pregnant in my 20's,30's and now 40's and the differences are in my case nil, I have always taken care of myself I eat right exercise regularly, i am a non smoker. All of my pregnancies have been with out event ( except this one and the small complications are due to being pregnant with multiplies not with my age) I have been blessed with now 7 Healthy children. The only differences I have experience with this pregnancy are the public perception towards me for some reason people have expressed quite passionately that I am too old to be pregnant and to be truthful theses little men were not planned but have always been wanted.

I feel there could be issues with any pregnancy regardless of age, it is true the older we get the higher the risks become. I know that once I was pregnant I researched everything and at on point was terrified. I just had to have faith that everything woud be okay, Having this board has been a godsend talking to other AMA moms is the best thing to help ease these fears or to have the support,

Okay enough rambling all I can say is trust in your self, start taking prenatal vitamins now. It can never be a bad choice is it is something you want.
and if you want another then my advice go for it. ( As a mom I only get better with age in my 20's I was a wreak, in my 30's a little more mellow now in my 40's I rock I have the maturity and experience to handle almost anything )

Good Luck with what ever you decide
take care
~Carly

(Sorry I may have rambled on...blame it on preggo brain)

Pregnancy ticker

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 1:01pm

Hello!

I got pregnant on my honeymoon at 39 and had my dd a few months before turning 40 (best present ever)...first marriage and child for both me and my husband.

I'm now 42 and will have #2 a couple months before I turn 43. I have to say I feel great. I've always taken good care of myself....was a professional athlete in my 20's....have always eaten well, etc. My dr was the one that encouraged me to go for #2...she in no way thinks I'm too old to have a baby. Yesterday she even asked me if I was going to go for #3....she's had lots of patients in their mid 40's have healthy babies....so I've never felt old. Yes, the decision to have any testing done is scary...I'm still on the fence if I should go for an amnio....I didn't with my dd.

For me, I love being a mom. I had a great career, traveled, lived abroad....now at this stage of my life all I want to do is be my dd's mother...I'm so grateful for my life at 42.

With my dd (2 1/2)....I had an easy pregnancy, did experience nausea....but that was it. She was delivered by an emergency c section, but only because her shoulder was stuck....if that hadn't happened I would have delivered her no problem...since I tried for about 40 minutes and came so close! I recovered well from the surgery and nursed her for 2 years.

I'm not much help, because I didn't have a baby at 30....but I do have lots of friends, relatives who had their children in their early 20's to early 30's....and to be honest I don't see a real difference. They're just as tired and may even have less patience than I do...I have a lot. I also notice they talk often about the things they've given up to have children...how they never get to go out with friends, haven't traveled, etc. I don't have those regrets...I seem more at peace with my life than they do....just want to spend the rest of my life taking care of my children.

My dd is in a mommy & me playgroup....I've become close to 4 of the moms......and I just discovered I'm the youngest....I'm 42 and the oldest of this group of friends is 51 with a 2 year old too!

Go for it is what I say! Your children will adore a little baby brother or sister! Best wishes to you and your family. Cath xx

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 1:44pm

I haven't noticed any dramatic differences so far.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 2:37pm

I can't think of many physical differences.

Shelli, married to Jason for 18 years, mom to Derek(15), Alyssa(12), and Carly (2/26/09)

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 5:14pm
Shelli,
LOVE LOVE LOVE your family photo......what a blessing baby Joelle is!
Your words have helped me...I'm 42 having #2....and can't wait to mother another child! Cath xx
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 10:40pm

Unfortunately, I started this pregnancy heavier that my 1st (by about 50 lbs) and my blood pressure is borderline hypertensive.

Mindy

Expecting a Turkey Baby -11/28

My baby has grown so big in the last two weeks that

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 11:25pm

I would echo a lot of what has been said here already--there is not a big difference between this pg and my two children I had at age 32 and 34.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-24-2009 - 11:28pm

Our daughter was born when I was 29, and I am again pregnant at age 43.

I can't draw any solid conclusions about the pregnancies being different -- physically I am strong, healthy and obviously fertile now, as I was then.

Pages