seriously nuts, or weird pg symptom

iVillage Member
seriously nuts, or weird pg symptom
Thu, 10-29-2009 - 2:57pm

(I also posted this under Pregnant after TTC, but both boards seem a little quiet lately, so figured I'd double my odds for getting some advice/input).

Okay...as I said in the other post not sure if I should be posting this here or under a board titled "pregnancy symptom no one tells you about or am I losing my marbles?"

So about ten minutes ago, I'm sitting here at my computer and all of a sudden every dream I've ever had (it seemed) came rushing to me one after the other all at once. It was literally like all my dreams just threw up in my mind. It lasted about 3-5 minutes. Has NEVER happened before. I was even having trouble differentiating if some were dreams or real memories. I'm realizing now, that the "memories" were just memories of my more repetitive dreams that I don't consciously think about/remember during the day, but I dream enough that they become familiar when I'm dreaming them. They are/were so abstract that I can't even remember any of them now that the episode has passed.

It kind of started as a deja vu thing, and then one memory of a dream just sparred on another and soon they were all tumbling out. I should have started typing them since I was sitting here at my computer, but I was busy trying to make sense if I was having "real" memories of actual events or not....I know now I wasn't, since I can't remember a darn thing. I guess it's almost like I had a rush of waking dreams??? Does that even make sense?

I woke up about 2 hours ago, but didn't actually get out of bed until about an hour ago.

Really hope to get some insight here...hoping this is one of those pregnancy symptoms no one tells you about....and I'm not losing it.

This is really embarrassing. The only thing I've found on the internet about this is some form of epilepsy that has nothing to do with pregnancy, but it comes with nausea after the flashbacks happen, which I didn't get. Has anyone experienced/heard of anything like this? The feelings/memories were very powerful. Almost a waking dream state if you will. Had to put my head in my hands after awhile until it passed.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-01-2009 - 10:55pm

Hey there.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 12:16am

Sounds pretty cool, actually!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 12:54pm

Thanks for the feedback ladies!

I've come down from the freak out I was having when I posted (right smack after it happened). It hasn't happened since, but I do have to say that my dreams for the past few weeks have been more epic in nature. VERY vivid, lots of adventure to them (sometimes good, sometimes bad) all kinds of random people from my past making appearances, some that make sense, some that I wonder why because I haven't thought of the person in years. And I remember hardly anything when I wake up, other than I was quite busy in my dreams. So I guess my brain was in overload and took that particular moment to throw it up all back at me..ha!

If it happens again, I'm grabbing the nearest paper and pen/pencil and will start recording what I can.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 2:03pm

Hi, I am on the board with a question and noticed your post.

During my last pregnancy, I had very vivid dreams. (Come to think of it, the last few days, I have been having very vivid dreams. Hmmm Well, I am going to take an HPT either in a couple of hours or tomorrow morning.) I think your vivid dreams are normal, but all at once and awake is very different. I would mention it on your next check up.

Take care and be careful

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 2:49pm

Hi- I am typically a lurker here. (I will be 40 next month and am 12 weeks pg).

Anyway, what you are describing can be attributed to something called "selective serotonin reuptake syndrome." It is a rare side effect of depression meds. I never heard of it until my mom started having it happen to her (and I am a clinical psychologist!)

Are you on any meds that impact your serotonin? Or maybe your pg hormones are messing with your serotonin. Regardless, it won't hurt you and you are not going crazy, it's just kind of scary. I hope you don't have to experience it again.

Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

family

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 5:17pm

Thanks for your feedback.

No I'm not on, nor have I ever been on anti-depressants. But like you said perhaps my pregnancy hormones are elevating my serotonin.

You are right. It is scary. It's not like all these great memories are flooding back. It's all the abstract dreams all converging on me so nothing makes sense. A lot of them are dreams where I was searching for the answer to something which is why I wasn't sure if they were real memories at first or not. But the questions themselves didn't make any sense so that is why it was not fun at all. I love dreams and dream recollection, but not like this!

So far so good on no repeating episodes. But if I do, I will mention it to my Dr.

Thanks again!

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-04-2009 - 5:49pm
You're welcome. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to you again!
Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

family

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker