5 weeks and freaked out

iVillage Member
5 weeks and freaked out
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 5:47am

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself here. I got a BFP last Wednesday after 2 years of trying, including two miscarriages. I am thrilled and optimistic this time around but I'm starting to feel really freaked out with worry! I'll see my midwife next week and am hoping that will put my mind at ease a little....

Oh plus I saw on Facebook this morning (I've been waking up super-early and going on the computer) that a girl I went to high school with is a grandmother! Which makes me say to myself, What am I thinking?!! This will be DH and my first child, I'm 42 and he's 36. Wish I'd met him earlier in life, but hey, things work in mysterious ways.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and see how you all deal with the over-40 first-trimester anxiety! Best wishes to you all!

Rebekkah

p>
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 11:30am

Hello, Welcome and Congradulations Rebekkah

Its perfectly normal to have panic attacks early on I think we all do whether its our first or in my case 6 & 7th. The first trimester is always the hardest.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 9:43pm

Welcome and Congratulations! The first trimester is such a time of excitement and waiting, anxiously! Each night when I go to bed I place my hands on my belly and have a silent conversation with the little one. I say "May you grow happy, healthy and strong in your mind, body, heart and spirit. Make yourself comfortable and hold on tight to Mommy, and let me know what you need....more rest, what foods, more water, more exercise. I look forward to meeting you, getting to know you and having you join our family." (Something like that...) I like connecting with that new little being. I did this with my first pregnancy as well (2 years ago).

Sending sticky baby vibes your way!

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 6:56pm

Congrats and sending sticky baby vibes to you!

Shelli, married to Jason for 18 years, mom to Derek(15), Alyssa(12), and Carly (2/26/09)

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-28-2009 - 9:18pm
Hello Rebekkah and congratulations! Welcome to the board! I'll support what the others already stated....the first trimester is typically an anxious and worrisome time for all pregnant women, but especially for we AMA women. What worked best for me was to just take each day one at a time and try not to focus on the what if's and what-could-be's. It's hard to do, but I found that if I kept myself busy or slept (which wasn't always easy or possible to do), it was easier to do. I'll be 42 in two weeks and this will be our third child (I'm almost 15 weeks pregnant, due May 21). I was 40 when I had our second child and 36 when I had our first. Since I've always been of "AMA", I don't have anything to compare my pregnancies to except what I've heard from other younger moms. And in my opinion, my pregnancies were comparable to theirs. Now, having said that, I tell people I'm the world's worst pregnant person because I HATE being pregnant, but that's not an age thing, that's just me hating being nauseous, feeling fat (and usually getting fat by the time I deliver, LOL), hating having to waddle around, hating my big belly getting in the way, hating that I can't pick my girls up as easily as I could before being pregnant, etc., etc.. I know of some women (OK, exactly two, LOL!) who LOVED being pregnant and perhaps you'll be one of them. I hope you are. : ) Lots of sticky baby vibes are comin' your way. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-29-2009 - 11:31am

Rebekkah,

I can certainly relate! I'm 40 (41 in Feb) and just got my BFP a week ago thanks to IVF#2 (we tried naturally for 2 1/2 years and IVF#1 failed in June). I'm nervous and excited as this is my first pregnancy! My DH is 35 and I too wish we met earlier... but you can't control what life deals you! Although most of my friends have grown children I try to not to let that worry me...40 is the new 30 right!

I'm just grateful to be pregnant at my age and thankful that there's medical assistance for those who can't conceive naturally!

Best of luck!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 3:57pm
Hi everyone, thanks for the sticky baby vibes and calming words! And congrats to you all too. Glad to know I'm not alone. I'm feeling a bit better about things since I posted. One day at a time. Carly, I like your silent conversation each night!
As to your question Shelli, no of course I don't mind; they did a bunch of testing after the second m/c (karyotyping, checked for sticky blood syndrome, the works) and nothing was found to be wrong on my end, just "bad luck" in our dr's words, probably chromosomal abnormalities. In some ways in might help to think there was something diagnosable so we could "fix" it? Anyway, I am grateful to be pregnant again and just trying to have faith!
p>
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 5:37pm

Congratulations... and hang in there.