Baby Number Three?

iVillage Member
Baby Number Three?
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 8:24pm

Hello ladies! I am so excited to have discovered your forum for those of us in the "40 and pregnant" category.

A little bit about myself:

I am a 40-year old mom to 2 beautiful blessings. Mary Catherine turned 5 in August (in vitro baby) and Benjamin turned 3 in November (bonus baby!). My husband and I have been married for 16 years and have had a long struggle with infertility.

YESTERDAY, after realizing that my period was long over due, I took a hpt and it turned positive immediately...and it was one of those $1 Dollar General cheapies! LOL Incidentally, TODAY marks the one-year anniversary of our most recent loss. God surely works in mysterious ways!

In fact, we have been actively trying to conceive since last January. Two weeks ago, I resigned myself that after almost a year of trying (and turning 40 over the summer) it was just not going to happen again and that I should be content with our two. I even began packing up baby clothes for donation...just couldn't quite part with the stuff and decided to wait until the new year.

While I don't know what the outcome of this pregnancy will be, I am remaining cautiously optimistic! The fact that I conceived at 40 with a husband who has moderately-severe male-factor infertility seems incredulous to me!!!

Since last January, my cycles have been sporadic ranging from 30 days to 36; averaging 32. So, that being said, I'm not quite sure of a due date! I played around with some due date calculators and depending on cycle length could be due anywhere from 08/04/10 (my daughter's birthday) to 08/11/10. I'm vying for 08/09/10!!!

I know that I'm going to need to see my OB sooner rather than later, but I told myself a year ago that if I should get pregnant again, I was going to hold off on going in extra early for bloodwork and u/s. The numbers always freak me out and I over analyze it all! Since I've never had a progesterone problem, I spoke to the pharmacist last night and have started on a quality prenatal with a DHA supplement (they didn't even have that when I was pregnant with Ben!!!) Unfortunately, I know they're going to want to do early u/s to date the pregnancy but since I could be anywhere from 4w6d (36 day cycle) to 6w0d (28 day cycle), I want to give the pregnancy a few more days before allowing them to poke, prod, and stress me out! LOL

Looking forward to chatting with you ladies. I enjoyed lurking around today and reading your posts...I could relate to so many of you!

Keeping warm in the frigid Midwest,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 8:47pm

Hello, Valerie! Welcome and congratulations! Wow, you've now been blessed with TWO bonus babies! How awesome! My husband and I tried for a few months to get pregnant at the beginning of this year, then a few months fter my OB talked us out of trying for another one and just a few weeks before I was scheduled to have the Mirena IUD inserted, we wound up pregnant with number three. I think there really is some truth to the notion that when people stop trying to conceive, that's when it often happens.

Our oldest daughter, Lilah, just turned 5 Oct 29 and our second daughter, Eva, will be two in January. So it sounds like both you and I will be busy caring for three small ones! I'm not sure how I'm going to do it all, but I know somehow it will work out just as I'm sure the same will be true for you.

Welcome again! I'm sending lots of sticky baby vibes your way! I look forward to seeing your posts. Please keep us posted on your journey. Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 9:12pm

Congratulation and Welcome Valerie
Sending you nothing but STICKY BABY VIBES

Take Care
Carly

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 9:31pm

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, Joan!

Seems that I should have tried to get rid of the baby items a lot sooner...LOL!!! There really does seem to be some truth to the philosophy behind "relaxing" although that is easier said than done...especially when trying to conceive your first.

Since, I've always been high-risk or AMA, being 40 doesn't worry me as much as whether or not my husband and I can produce a healthy embryo.

We have had 5 losses (chemical pregnancy, ectopic, blighted ovum, ectopic, and last year's miscarriage at 11-weeks with loss of heartbeat)...so, I've been down the road of loss more times than I care to recall!!!

Congratulations to you as well on Baby #3. Mary and Ben are 27 months apart (She was 18 months old when we got the surprise of a lifetime!!!) and the best of friends even though they are brother/sister rather than same gender!!! It warms my heart to see how close they are (although they can also fight like cats and dogs). Best wishes as you continue with your pregnancy!!!

Thanks for the kind thoughts and well wishes,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 9:32pm

Hi Carly.

Thank you for the warm welcome!!!

Stay warm,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-10-2009 - 9:46pm

Hi Valerie,

congratulations on your pg!

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-13-2009 - 5:44pm

Hi Valerie!

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-26-2009 - 12:26pm

Hi Linda.

Congratulations on #4! Good thing you didn't get rid of all those big ticket items!!! LOL

Wishing you all the best on your April delivery date!

Blessings,

Valerie