Pregnant ... holy crap!

iVillage Member
Pregnant ... holy crap!
Wed, 12-16-2009 - 8:48pm

Okay... so I'm pregnant and 40.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-17-2009 - 12:50am

Hi Jill,

First, and on a light note, you are NOT over the hill at 40 LOL.

I am so sorry about the loss of your son. It must have been beyond devastating. I can't imagine how frightening the prospect of pregnancy again must be to you. However, congratulations are very much in order.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-18-2009 - 1:34am

Hello Jill, and welcome! Congratulations on your latest pregnancy! You've been through a lot so it makes perfect sense why you're feeling the way you feel. Most of us on this board share your feelings, but for those of us who haven't been through what you've been through with your third child, the magnitude of our feelings must pale in comparison to yours. I'm so very sorry for the loss you suffered with your last child.

Although I'm certainly no expert, my best advice is to try to just take things one day at a time. Deciding to have genetic testing (or not) is a very personal decision that only you and your husband can make. Many of us here have had it done (I just had an amnio two weeks ago and I also had one with our youngest daughter who'll be two next month) and some haven't. Although the risk of miscarriage from the procedures (namely CVS and amniocentesis) is extremely small, it does exist. Your best bet is to talk it over with your doctor and try to find out what the miscarriage rate is for the person(s) performing the procedures near you (the miscarriage rate is directly related to the experience level of the person performing the procedure so each practioner/clinic carries its own miscarriage rate).

I hope you'll keep us posted on this journey of yours just as I hope you'll lean on us for strength and support. The women here are truly amazing and have incredible insight, advice, and feedback so please take advantage of their good will. Best wishes to you and I hope to see you posting around.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-30-2009 - 8:32pm
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement.
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-30-2009 - 9:50pm

Hi!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-05-2010 - 8:36am

Hi there I am new here, just made my first post...about my relationship ending, (writing about it was helpful)..

I, too am 40 and pregnant....16 weeks 4 days...and slo didn't think I could get pregnant again..(1 son 17 then a m/c at 8 weeks in 1994 with my second pregnancy)

I just recently had my NT u/s and part 1 of my intergrated blood test..

This is Copy and pates info about NT u/s with a link for those who are curious:
----------------------

Link:

http://www.babycenter.ca/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/scans/nuchalscan/

What is nuchal translucency?

This is a collection of fluid under the skin at the back of a baby's neck at 10-14 weeks that can be measured using ultrasound. All babies have some fluid, but in many babies with Down's syndrome, the nuchal translucency (NT) is increased.

An NT ultrasound is a method of assessing whether your baby is likely to have Down's syndrome. It's a screening test. A screening test can only estimate the risk of your baby having Down's, as opposed to a diagnostic test, such as CVS or amniocentesis, which will give you a definite diagnosis (but also carries a small risk of miscarriage).

The NT ultrasound can't tell for certain whether your baby is affected. However, it can help you decide whether or not to have a diagnostic test. In many cases, it is offered along with blood tests to determine fetal risk for certain abnormalities.
-------------------------------------

I am in the same boat as far as considering and amnio. They provide such valubale info, but this is my last pregnancy, so any risk for me seems frightening.

My NT was "within normal range", and the first blood test did not reveal an increased risk at this time.

Nest step is in a few weeks for the second blood test, and a Level 2 u/s, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I hope we can all take this journey together, it is such a great community : )

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-10-2010 - 8:25pm

Thanks for the information!

Carol