Second chance at motherhood

iVillage Member
Second chance at motherhood
Sun, 12-27-2009 - 12:44am

Hello everyone...

I'm new to being a part of the message board crowd...but excited. I'm 44 and have been with my wonderful husband for a 3 years. I have 4 beautiful sons from my first marriage (23,18,17, and 13). I had my first child at 20 and my last one at 30. My DH is an only child with no children of his own. This our second attempt at IVF and we just found out we're expecting. I'm 5 weeks pregnant and we are both so excited but VERY anxious that something can go wrong. After having 4 children easily/naturally with a man who didn't care about his children or wife...this is hard for me to deal with infertility problems with my 2nd husband who is the most awesome, loving, and giving man I know.

Every pain, ache, or weird feeling makes me worried something is wrong. I have a bit of spotting after BM's and my ovaries ache on/off throughout the day. My beta level at 2 weeks was 220 and I'm having my first U/S in one week. Any suggestions at putting my mind at ease or coping with worry and stress? Other than stress of being with my ex-husband, I do not remember being worried or stressed about much during my four other pregnancies...

Thanx for any input and I'm happy to have found this message board.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-27-2009 - 1:36pm

Congratulations! How great for you.
I am pregnant with our first (first for both of us) and I know what you mean. I've had heartburn and sore bbs and I know things are still progressing but that doesn't stop me from asking for more "signs"! I've also had a bit of spotting - mostly when I over do it and stand for too long - scared the beegeebers out of me the first time but I was told it was normal (especially when using progesterone vaginal inserts)
I'm 7 weeks along today and our first U/S is on Tuesday - can't wait - I'm anxious to see a heartbeat!!
Keep a positive outlook and know that you are doing what you need to do to keep your baby growing strong and healthy - the U/S will confirm this and you'll start the new year with a great joy that you're keeping your child healthy and safe.

Be well.

Susan

Susan L.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-27-2009 - 7:05pm

Hey thanx so much for your response of encouragement...I should be an old hat at this pregnancy stuff, but as I said before "my baby" is 13. And I think I put a little more worry and stress on myself as we had to go through two IVF's and $25,000.00 in expenses to get us where were at now...5 weeks! :-) For being a positive person that I usually am...this worry wart attitude is not natural for me. I will have my first ultra sound in one more week and can't hardly wait. The Dr transferred 2 blastocysts so we're anxious to see if I have twins.

I'm taking the Progesterone shots everyday, Heparin shots twice a day, and Estradiol Valerate shots every 4th day. Can you say pin cushion?!?! I was wondering about the vaginal gel inserts and it seems like that would be so much easier and less painful...

Good luck as you enjoy your first preganacy...It's such a wonderful feeling growing a little human being inside your body.

Kimberely

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-27-2009 - 7:41pm

Congratulations on your pg!

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 11:35am

Carol,

Wow you are going to have your hands full...Good for you. There was a time I said I wanted 8 children (this coming from a girl who had no interest in having kids and wasn't a babysitter as a teen). But after having 4 boys with an emotionally/mentally dysfunctional man...I thought I better end it at 4 since I'm doing it on my own.

Now having a second chance at motherhood I'm trying to just take it one day at a time and keep positive about the pregnancy. We have been trying for 2 years and my husband is still in shock (in a good way) that the IVF worked...Now he's praying the pregnancy will be healthy and successful...

We go in next monday #1-4-09) for our first U/S and see what's going on. I'm hoping there is twins. That would an double awesome blessing...but I'm thankful and excited for one at least healthy baby to add to our family.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 4:03am
Hello and welcome! And most importantly, congratulations on being newly pregnant! I think it's natural to worry about every ache and pain during pregnancy -- especially in early pregnancy. From what I've read and heard, spotting is fairly common in early pregnancy as are cramps, but if you experience the two of them simultaneously, you should contact your doc. My best advice is to just try to take things one day at a time. I know it's easier to say that than to actually do it, but that's how I made it through my first trimester... How exciting for you and your hubby to be starting a new chapter together with a new baby! Please keep us posted on your journey. Best wishes to you. BTW, I'm Joan, am 42, and am 19 weeks pregnant with our third baby which is a boy. We have two daughters, ages 5 and almost 2. Welcome again and congrats!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 1:13pm

Joan,

Thank you for the lovely welcome...it's refreshing to find a message board and Website where you can get some much information. Yes I am so excited to have this blessing opportunity and can hardly wait...We haven't told anyone yet about the pregnancy as we want to see the sonogram and see the lil bean (or two# ourselves.

It's funny in the morning I don't feel very pregnant #no sickness or bad reaction to smells, and tummy's pretty small) but by late afternoon I feel like my belly has expanded and I hate everyone bad breath! :-) However as you suggested we are taking it one day at a time and trying to stay positive and hopeful everything will go good.

Have a great New Year and I'll post my sonogram findings on Monday. Well I try too. I can't figure out how to paste those cute pregnancy tickers or photos. How do you do that?

Thanx and God Bless,

Kimberely

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-02-2010 - 11:04pm

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-03-2010 - 4:28pm

Welcome and Congradulations

My name is Carly

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-03-2010 - 5:29pm

Carly,

Thank you so much for the simple good advise. Wow 46 going on 47 and twins on the way. I'm 44 but will be 45 when I have our baby(ies) in August. I'm not too sure why...maybe just being a bit anxious, but the last few days I have been stressing out on whether or not I will have it in me to start all over again with having and raising babies. Before we started this whole IVF and baby process, I was 100% sure and ready to go. I'm sure everyone goes through a bit uncertainty right???

You sound like you have had a bit of the same story as me...4 children with in your first marriage and down the road you found the love of your life...I know I did! I often wonder how come God blessed me so immensely when he brought me Noah. :-)

We go in tomorrow morning for our first ultra sound to see what's happening in my womb. We're both anxious and excited for this U/S...My husband thinks it twins as we transferred two embryos. so we'll see. We're waiting for the U/S results before we say anything to family and friends. Wish us luck.

Hopefully your older children are helping you out so you can get some rest before the twins arrival.

Take care,

Kimberely

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 11:34pm

Snowcindy,

This baby was conceived naturally.

Carol, mom to 7