New, 43 and surprise high risk pregnancy

iVillage Member
New, 43 and surprise high risk pregnancy
Thu, 01-21-2010 - 7:16pm
HI, My name is Jenine, I just turned 43 in December and much to my surprise , I found out I was pregnant last Sat. I am just about 6 weeks along.. I have two older children a boy -15 and a girl -9 from a previous marriage. This child will be my fiances first child. I haveLeiden Factor V which is a genetic blood clotting disorder and have to give myself lovenox injections daily( in the belly!!)
throughout my pregnancy. I am very scared- I have a history of blood clots( pulmonary embolisms in 2007, dvts in fall of 2009) and being pregnant increases the risk of clotting again. I was able to carry my two children to full term ( I didnt know I had this disorder prior to being pregnant the last two times) Although this was not planned, I am cautiously attempting to be excited. I have my first OB appointment tomorrow- I am scared that the dr will say that this pregnancy would be dangerous for me to continue. I am also worried about my advanced age- I sure am tired- I feel like I could sleep 24 hours a day!!! I am blessed that I dont have to work outside the home, because even making dinner at this point is exhausting. I am excited to see that there is a support group- because i have only told my sister and my fiance, and am not planning to say anything till much later in the pregnancy. Thanks for listening!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 11:37am

Welcome and Congratulations!

I hope your doctor's visit goes well and that you are strong enough to carry to term.

Take very good care of yourself and KUP on your progress.

Susan L.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 2:08pm

Hi Jenine. What an exciting what scary time for you! I hope your pregnancy doesn't affect your blood disorder too badly. Hopefully the meds will control it. Don't worry about your age. I think you'll find the majority of we AMA moms feel like our age really doesn't affect us too much. I personally feel like I suffer from the same things younger moms suffer from. Like you, I'm tired, too, but I think it's more a function of being pregnant on top of taking care of two young children. Best wishes to you. Please keep us posted on your progress. BTW, I'm Joan, am 42, and am expecting baby #3 in May (a boy). We have two girls, ages 5 and 2.

Edited 1/22/2010 2:14 pm ET by cl-my2girlslilahandeva

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 4:47pm

Hi and Congratulations!

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 10:09pm

Hi Jenine,

I'm also 43 and am going thru a high risk pg with similar complications.

WeeMee Profile Image

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 4:38pm
Hi all- I am going to my 2nd appt. today to see if my hormone levels are doubling and to check for a heartbeat- I have ben an emotional wreck all weekend. If they cant detect a heartbeat at 6 weeks does it mean you dont have a viable pregnancy????? I am so confused- I have read so many different things like waiting untill 8 weeks to check for a heartbeat.its been a long time since I have been pregnant and I didnt have these issues 9.5 years ago- My fiance cant come to the appt and so its off to the dr by myself!!!!!! I have only told a few select friends who all live across country, so i dont have anyone locally that i can turn to for support. Thanks
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 5:34pm

Jenine,

By the time you read this reply, you'll have had your appointment and hopefully have had the heartbeat confirmed. I had my first ultrasound done at 4 1/2 wks- which really was way too early- and right after the PA told me it might be an ectopic pregnancy because they couldn't see anything. Two wks later it was confirmed as a viable pregnancy and the heartbeat was detected. At that point it was only registering about 108 beats per minute- a bit slower than normal, but maybe not unusual for that early. So now I'm anxiously awaiting my next apptmt in

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-25-2010 - 6:18pm

When I was pg with my 2nd (who is now a healthy girl) there was no detectable heartbeat at 6 weeks.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 1:28pm

Hi Jenine.

First, congratulations.

Second, best of luck with the Leiden V and Lovenox injections. You CAN DO IT! A former colleague of mine has the same diagnosis as well as the MFTHR (sorry, can't spell the acronym!!!); and although she is much younger than us, she managed the injections. You are so blessed to have the 2 healthy kiddos you do have considering this high-risk factor!!!

Finally, don't despair and count yourself out just yet with regards to finding a heartbeat so early. Yes, most pregnancy websites state that the heart should be pumping at 6-weeks, but it might be too early to be seen even with transvaginal ultrasound. At this early in the pregnancy, you dates could be off...and DAYS literally make a difference in the development of a fetus. From personal experience and a website (Misdiagnosed Miscarriage) I know other women have been given a doom and gloom diagnosis, only to go on to deliver healthy babies. Give yourself a week to 10-day for a follow-up scan.

I'll be looking for future posts from you and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 10:19am
First
Pregnancy%20ticker