42, single, and pregnant

iVillage Member
42, single, and pregnant
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 6:45pm

I'm 42 and I'm just over 10 weeks pregnant, and will be 43 by my August due date. I have no other children.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 7:33pm

Hi Karen

My name is Carly I am 46

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 9:57pm

4ever,

Wow, five and two more on the way! You must be a great mom. And only two more weeks. Thanks so much for the words of support. Now that I've found this site, I'll be here frequently.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 10:47pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 10:36am

Hello, Karen! Welcome and congratulations! How exciting to be a first time Mom! I'm sure you'll feel the whole gamet of emotions -- joy, anxiety, fear, excitement, etc., etc., just as most of us do. You have an added element in not know for sure who the father is, but you have an absolutely great attitude about it! It's funny how these little tiny "beans" affect our emotions in so many different ways. It must be a maternal instinct -- whether untapped or known -- that kicks in and tells us to worry about baby first, then everything else later. I'm so glad you found this site. The women here are fabulous and have so much insight, suggestions, and advice. I'm sure you'll be able to draw from their experiences and ideas as you progress throughout this journey.

Regarding chromosome testing, etc., I personally think there is no "right" answer. The "best" choice depends on each woman. For some, knowing what to expect is "best" for them to be able to prepare, etc.. For some, knowing whether there are chromosomal abnormalities is irrelevant. So it really depends on you. There are several threads about this very topic; perhaps you can read through them. Some are more recent than others, but all contain very relevant and up-to-date information and thoughts. I wish you the best as you work through this. Best wishes to you for a happy and healthy pregnancy. I hope you'll keep posting with thoughts, questions, ideas, etc..

BTW, I'm Joan, am 42, and am expecting baby #3 in May. We have two girls, a five year old, Lilah and a two year old, Eva. This one is a boy and is still presently nameless, LOL.....

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 4:21pm
Thanks to all for the welcomes and well
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-02-2010 - 1:11pm
Tried out my baby doppler the other night and didn't quite get it working. For one thing, it registered what I believe was my own heartbeat as soon as I picked it up. It's hard to locate the right spot to detect the fetal heartbeat. I also wasn't in complete quiet when trying it, and it is
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 1:04pm

I was picking up baby's whoosh-whoosh heartbeat by about 12 weeks. I'm 22 weeks now and still find it in about the same place (to the left and just below my navel, took a while to find the right place!) Very frequently the beating heart doesn't show on the LCD part of the monitor, but I can hear the whoosh whoosh whoosh which I know is baby's heart (sounds the same as mommy's, just much faster!)

I need a LOT of liquid to conduct the sound when I do it, but it can be anything - lotion, gel, even water. I've used this in the bath tub a couple of times and just keep dunking my belly beneath the surface of the water to re-wet lol. If you don't use any or enough of something as a conducter, it won't work at all. I also have to push down quite a lot, almost to the point where it's uncomfortable.

It really does bring peace of mind in-between appointments and before you're able to feel swimming/kicking.

Good luck!

Signature

Photobucket