NT Ultrasound Yesterday

iVillage Member
NT Ultrasound Yesterday
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 1:18pm

Hello Ladies.

Just popping in for a visit. (I've been so sick lately...seems like the morning sickness really kicked in around week 10, but even worse has been the insomnia!!!)

Went for my NT ultrasound yesterday. The sonographer was a bit evasive, but said baby "looked real good". S/he was so active that the sonographer had a hard time getting good images...even went to the bathroom to slightly empty my bladder and see if that helped and baby was still uncooperative...LOL.

Afterward, I went for a blood draw and was told that it would be about a week before I had any results. I hope I don't torture myself!!!

My NT with Mary (in vitro baby) was normal and my NT with Ben (age 37, spontaneous pregnancy) was also normal, but I know the odds increase with age.

I must say that I was a nervous wreck going in there yesterday afternoon...I was just so worried that they were going to scan me and baby would no longer have a heartbeat. Just negative thinking on my part. Last year's m/c ended at 6w5d even though I carried through 10 and so when we saw little bean at 9w3d I should have been relieved, but I've just had so many losses.

I try to reason with God...really...should an infertile, multiple m/c, in vitro mom also have to deal with Down's or one of the other trisomys, but I don't think God works that way!

I'll keep you posted,

Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-26-2010 - 5:02pm

Valerie,

Sounds like you have a healthy one there! I live 1.5 hours from the OB center where I'm currently going and I

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 4:29am
Hi Valerie. Waiting for results is so, so difficult. It feels like an eternity, I know. Try to remain positive; like the others have already stated, many screenings suggest increased odds for certain markers but are later found to be misleading. I'll be thinking of you; please update us as soon as you hear anything. Hang in there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 3:03pm

Hang in there!

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 12:41pm

Oh my...and hour and a half away...I don't blame you one bit for doubling up on appts., but it sure would've been helpful if they had told you that size mattered! I wish you well with the upcoming scan.

My husband said the same thing the other day...why are we even having this done if it won't change our opinion about carrying to term. I guess my philosophy (being an educator and all!) is that I would rather know what I need to know to be prepared to accept this little one into our lives than be shocked at delivery time.

If my tripl/quad screen markers come back elevated though and the NT measurements are fine than I too will skip amnio. I've had so many losses (always way early in the 4-6 week range) that I would hate to risk a miscarriage with an otherwise healthy fetus.

Now, if the NT measurements aren't good and the blood work is bad, I guess we'll have to reevaluate the situation, but just not wanting to go there in my mind right now!

Take care and I'll be watching for your posts!

Valerie

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 12:49pm

Thanks, Joan.

My girlfriend who lives in St. Louis just shared with me that her triple/quad screen came back elevated (she was 37 at the time) and everything turned out fine. She seemed to think that the numbers are compared to national averages and not specific to women over 35, etc. etc. She told me not to worry too much.

I've really tried to stay of the internet...the first thing I did when I got home was research the different trisomies.

Actually Down's Syndrome doesn't really concern me as much as the other Trisomies...the ones that are not compatible with life. My husband and I have been through so much heartache over the past 11 years (5 losses) that I just don't know how we would deal with a stillbirth or death at birth from one of the other trisomies.

Being an educator with a fondness for working with special needs kiddos (my principal would usually try to place them in my regular ed classroom) I could handle a Down's Syndrome or other special needs kiddo..but death. Ugh!

I'll make sure to update!

Valerie

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 12:50pm

Thanks! That what I figured...they've gotta be evasive b/c they're not typically MDs!

I keep everyone updated.