NT results...

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-03-2006
NT results...
4
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 8:35pm
I got pregnant when I was ending 39yrs old, and am now 40.
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-05-2008
In reply to: mom2khc
Wed, 01-27-2010 - 9:02pm
I think your odds are pretty darn good that your baby doesn't have DS. I remember reading somewhere that the odds of DS for a "healthy" mother of age 25 is something like 1:2500 and the odds increase for each year older the Mom is. With the baby I'm carrying now, I was told my odds were 1:62 (based on my delivering him at the ripe old age of 42); with my two year old, I was told my odds were 1:83 (based on my delivering her at the age of 40). These odds were based solely on my age, etc., not on any NT screening and/or bloodwork. So I think you were given pretty good odds, but that's just my humble opinion. I had amnio's with both this baby and my two year old, but that's just because I'm the type of person who needs to know with certainty what the expected outcome is; I realize each woman is different and so it's a very personal choice to have testing done or not. Best wishes to you, and thanks again for the update.

Photobucket



Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2007
In reply to: mom2khc
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 1:04pm
I think your results are GREAT.

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-08-2009
In reply to: mom2khc
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 1:16pm

I agree with the other readers...your odds are still fantastic even if you are no longer in the 1500 range.

Look at it this way...if you divide 1 into 873, you only have a 1000th percent chance of having a baby with DS.

I read a great article about this and it said to think of the odds this way...

If a 45+ year old woman has a 1 in 8 chance of having a baby with any type of chromosomal defect, that's still only a 12% chance. She has an 88% chance of having a normal chromosomal baby.

Also, I recently visited the National Down's Syndrome website to learn more about odds, birth defects, heart defects, etc. and learned that 80% of DS babies are born to women age 35 and YOUNGER. Why? B/c statistically, the have more babies than women in our age group.

I agree with one of the other readers, if you really need certainty or if the answer will change the outcome of your pregnancy (whether or not you'd carry to term) than by all means have the amnio or CVS done. It is a very personal decision.

I'm 40 1/2, pregnant with our 3rd baby and if my NT results come back normal, but my triple or quad screen markers come back elevated, I'm just leaving it alone.

Best of luck!

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-03-2006
In reply to: mom2khc
Thu, 01-28-2010 - 5:23pm
Thanks! You all are making me feel a little more confident.