prenatal vitamins

iVillage Member
prenatal vitamins
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 2:17pm

I just got a BFP and

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 2:47pm
Hello and welcome. Congratulations on #4! It sounds like you're right on track -- prenatals are probably the best thing you can do right now (aside from avoiding the obvious no-no's, LOL). My doc and my pharmacist both agree that most prenatals on the market these days are pretty comparable to each other. With my two girls, my pharmacist recommended a store brand (Life brand) because they contained the same vitamins and minerals as Centrum's Materna. This time I'm taking Materna only because my hubby didn't listen to me when I asked him to pick up the cheaper Life brand AND my doc graciously offers me samples that he has in his office. Honestly, I find that the Materna brand makes me nauseous; I don't recall the Life brand doing that, but of course it could just be in my head, I don't know... There are so many of them on the market today, I don't know how one would determine one is necessarily better than another. The one thing I know for sure is that Folic Acid is very, very important during these early days of pregnancy so make sure that whichever brand you choose, it contains at least 1 mg of Folic Acid (also called Folate). Congrats again, please stick around and keep us posted on your progress, etc.. I look forward to seeing you posting around!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 3:48pm

Thanks Joan! With my other pregnancies I had it all down pat and enjoyed researching ways to have a healthy pregnancy. Now I am just a ball of nerves:) I don't even know where to start! I guess it doesn't help that I have much more on my plate now. We thought we were being careful so needless to say this is all very unexpected. I will check on the vitamins you reccommended and thanks for the folic acid tip. Hopefully things will settle down soon and I can

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 4:48pm

Bridgitte,

I was surprised that I had to seek out guidance on prenatal vitamins, and it wasn't the first information given by my healthcare providers. Anyway, my vitamin routine is kind of a mish-mash. Because I can't stomach the standard form of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) most prenatal formulas contain, I find myself supplementing daily multi-vitamins with several others important during pregnancy. Even before I was pregnant I already took Esther C, which is much gentler on the stomach than ascorbic acid, but I didn't always take it daily and I have been now. I also take folic acid,

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-01-2010 - 10:15pm

my doc strongly recommended taking a prenat. with DHA.

WeeMee Profile Image