Round 3

iVillage Member
Round 3
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 4:56pm
Hi I'm a 41 year old mom of two and now pregnant with baby number 3.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
In reply to: cmm1415
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 9:20pm

cmm,

I know the risks for us older moms-to-be are especially emphasized, but as someone else advised another anxious poster on this board a few days ago,

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 9:34pm
You are absolutely right.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 10:24pm
Hello! Congrats on #3! I'm glad you introduced yourself here -- I think you'll find lots of support and advice from the ladies on this Board. Being a Type 1 diabetic myself (for over 23 years now), I can attest to the fact that we CAN have healthy babies. This is baby #3 for me and my first two (now five years old and two years old) were both born weighing only 6 lbs 2 oz and 5 lbs 12 oz, respectively. I control my sugars pretty well, but even a well-controlled Type 1 diabetic suffers from the occasional high (and occasional low). I usually have at least one high sugar every day (usually late, late at night or the wee hours of the morning) but I try hard to get it back down to normal range as quickly as possible. Neither of my girls suffered any "defects" as a result of my diabetes and so far, this little boy (the one I'm carrying now) is looking good too (I had an amniocentisis as well as a fetal echo cardiogram and got great results from both). I will tell you, however, that both my girls spent about four days in the NICU after being born because they were born with low blood sugar (very typical of babies born to diabetic moms). The only treatment they received was an IV of glucose that they were gradually weaned off of over their four day stay. My doc was great and let me stay in the hospital with each of them until they were ready to be released, mostly because I breastfed them and he knew they needed to eat every 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Although I'd rather none of my babies be on an IV, I'm proud that they were perfectly healthy otherwise. I wish and hope this baby doesn't need the glucose when he's born but I suspect he probably will. My sugars have run higher this pregnancy than they did with either of my girls, the result of having to temporarily use a steroid inhaler and subsequently due to some type of infection (UTI or kidney infection -- both also more common among prego women). I hope you'll find some comfort in my stories. I know the IV thing can be scary, and trust me, I hate seeing them on an IV, but like I said, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty minor. And when I look back on my birth experience, I rarely recall them being on an IV for three 1/2 days; I just remember them being healthy babies who I was fortunate to have four days "alone" with to nurse and bond. Don't stress too much, hang in there and try to just take things one day at a time. Best wishes to you. I hope to see you posting around more frequently. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 10:28pm

>>Now my next obstacle is to tell my older sister who is very judgemental.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 10:39pm
What
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 10:47pm
I can already see that same conversation with my sister too.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 10:57pm

What insulin pump to you wear? I wear the Medtronic. Boy, how kind of you to let them adjust your pump -- I do it all by myself. But, that's only because I have zero confidence in the diabetic team here in my town. I was trained on the pump by a team of endocrinologists and nurses (about 13 years ago now) at the University of Pennsylvania whom I respected immensely. I now live in a tiny, rinky dink town in Northern Ontario that has just one endocrinologist (whom I also don't exactly like) and one team of diabetes nurse educators. I swear it's a conspiracy; all they do is recite stuff anyone can find on the internet. The folks at the Univ of Penn (in conjunction with a dedicated nurse educator from Medtronic) factored in variables affecting BG, basal rates, and boluses that I don't think the folks here even know of, LOL! I hate to sound like a know-it-all, but I have more confidence in my ability to adjust my pump than I do in theirs. I hope your situation is different and you're please with the team working with you just as I once was.

You have a great attitude. It's natural to be worried and scared about your baby, especially when you have a medical condition to contend with. I catch myself sometimes thinking about the potential effects my diabetes could have have on my baby but then I realize that all I can do is the best I can do to control it AND I try to find comfort in the fact that so far, every screening and/or test I've had has come back with flying colors. And, of course, I look at my girls and know that everything can -- AND PROBABLY WILL BE -- OK. You'll get through this and I bet everything will be just fine. It'll feel like an eternity (I think that's true with any pregnancy -- at least with all of mine, LOL!), but you'll do it. Lean on us whenever you want to. The ladies here are awesome!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 11:08pm
Yes everyone here has been great.
Pregnancy%20ticker