Pregnant and Surprised!

iVillage Member
Pregnant and Surprised!
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 2:39am

I am 40 years old and just found out last week that I am pregnant. It's the first time I have been pregnant, and it wasn't really planned... Infact, I've been off birth control for 4 years, and just honestly believed I couldn't get pregnant.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 8:02am

Welcome and congratulations. I am 42 (43 by my due date) and also going

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 8:53am

You are hilarious!!! (the part about you convinced that you were not pregnant and trying different pregnancy tests)

Congratulations to you and your husband! That is wonderful news. Now that you have found out, continue taking good care of yourself with vitamins, enough sleep, good diet,etc. You seem to be following up with appointments so you will be fine.

You are perfectly normal to feel anxious. It's your first pregnancy and you don't know what to expect. You'll learn many new things over the next 8 months.

Gisele (due 5/26/10 with second child, son)

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 12:58pm

Hi there and welcome. Congratulations on being pregnant! It's perfectly natural to be anxious about being pregnant -- especially when it's your first child. It's exciting and scary all at the same time. I'm Joan, am 42, and am pregnant with #3 who's due in May. We have two girls, Lilah who's five and Eva who just turned two. This one is a boy who is presently still nameless, LOL. Like another poster already stated, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. Prenatals are very important in early pregnancy, particularly ones containing folic acid which greatly reduces the risk of neural tube defects (such as spina bifida). Since you already booked an appointment with your GP, s/he will tell what other things, if any, you should be doing (aside from the obvious like not drinking or smoking, etc.).

I think another poster already alluded to this but your due date is determined by calculating it from the first day of your last menstrual period. So you're not even pregnant the first two weeks of your pregnancy. My understanding is that it's done this way for consistency's sake; i.e., since not all women have a 28 day cycle, and conception doesn't necessarily happen the same day intercourse occurs (sperm can live up to three days once they're out swimming about), it's just easier to calculate due dates this way. They'll most likely "date" your fetus at your first ultrasound and your doc may decide to use their date or stick with the first day of your LMP (if they differ which they often do).

I look forward to seeing you posting with questions, etc.. The women here are awesome and will offer you tons of advice, support, and insight. Congrats again!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 3:56pm
Thanks for all the reponses!!