Intro, Pos NT screen
Find a Conversation
|Tue, 03-02-2010 - 8:35pm|
*warning termination ment.*
My name is Jenna and we are 14w2d pg with what we hope will become our first living child. After 4 fresh IVF's and 11 IUI's our last IUI was, so far, successful. We have had many losses so I am still cautious.
I know many women here have probably had the 1T screen. We had this screen and got a positive result for DS, though it was only 1 in 97, which is lower than the average risk for my age. A bit over a year ago we lost our twin pregnancy, one twin to unknown causes at about 9-10 weeks. The with the second twin, we did the 1T screen and got a high risk of 1 in 4. In that case all of our numbers were normal except for incredibly low PAPP-A (really low, like .07 or something). We did amnio and had PROM after amnio, which did not reseal, which made the fetus nonviable and the pregnancy very dangerous (potentially fatal) for me, due to very high rates of infection in these cases. We found out the fetus had T21 the same day we found out the membranes did not re-seal, and were told the T21 was the likely cause of the PROM...that the fetus makes the membranes, and when the fetus is abnormal the sac often is as well...and in fact they said there's a good chance the membranes probably would have ruptured in a few weeks even without the amnio. We scheduled an emergency D & E at 16w, and thankfully infection did not set in before that (despite a close call at the emergency room with possible elevated temp), so my fertility was preserved and I was able to try again.
In this pg, when I asked about my risk of PROM again, my doc told me that the deceased twin I was carrying last time was also a risk factor for PROM, along with the T21. But they can't say for sure 100% why the PROM happened, or that it wouldn't happen again. I also have a submucous fibroid that has been growing rapidly, about 3mm the last time I checked, which I think can increase the risk of PROM. My doctor told me that the risk you see for amnio and CVS are averages, but an individual's risk could be higher or lower. She felt my risk was likely higher, especially for CVS, and that my risk may be higher for amnio as well, but it was the safest choice if I needed invasive testing, and if our screening results came back good enough that we felt comfortable avoiding, that would best.
Anyway, here I am again, with much better but still positive and not reassuring results. We have decided to wait for the 2T screen and see what that says, and then possibly the 18w ultrasound before making a decision about amnio. Because I know that PROM makes even a genetically normal fetus nonviable if it happens before the lungs develop, and it happened to me before, I'm really terrified of amnio and am hoping to avoid.
Anyway, I am anxious during this wait and I'm wondering if anyone else here has had these lower-positive levels on your 1T screen, and if so, what happened (either in your 2T screening, U/S, amnio, or birth). If you had the 2T screen, did your odds get better, or worse, and by how much? Any soft markers on the u/s? If you had an amnio, what was the result?
This time around, we didn't have any drastically abnormal readings, it was more a combination of readings that gave us a positive result.
Our numbers were
NT: 2.5 (MoM 1.33)
PAPP-A: MoM .78
Hcg: MoM 1.14
u/s done at 12w5d, CRL gestational age 13w2d
Anticipated maternal age at delivery: 42
T21 risk 1 in 97
Risk for T18 1 in 3,200.
They did visualize a nasal bone in the U/S btw, though we had one in our T21 pg as well so that is not greatly reassuring.
Would be interested in hearing results of other ladies 1T tests and subsequent tests/birth/outcome.
Kind and non-judgemental responses only.