iVillage Member
Amazed at reaction from OB drs. nurse
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 10:31pm

Big vent....Wow, this age thing, on top of

Me and girls xmas 09

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 12:29am
OMG, that is just WRONG! End of story. Wrong. If you're relationship with your actual doc isn't super awesome, maybe you can leave that practice and see someone new; someone who won't judge you. I'm sorry, but that is just completely unprofessional. Not to mention just downright rude. If you do stay with this practice, can you mention to your doc the reaction you received from his/her staff? S/he needs to know. I'm sorry but that is just completely out of line. I'm steamed over this and I don't even know these people. Seriously, how freakin' rude of them. I better bow out of this discussion because I'm going to keep repeating the same things over and over again. I'm absolutely steaming over this. I'm so sorry they treated you this way. Big, big hugs to you. Ugh.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 2:02am

Hi!

I haven't been here in a couple of weeks. So sorry to hear about that dumb nurse's reaction. People are judgemental period. Be it about your love life, family, career, your

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 8:46am

LaRae, What an insensitive jerk that nurse was. Totally unprofessional, and ignorant.

I'm 43, so like you I would walk, not run away from that office. It would only go downhill from there.

My OB is the same one I had at 40, so I'm not expecting anything different, although I got pregnant with the help of IUI this time. My OB did my d&C after our first IUI resulted in a missed miscarriage at 10 weeks, and a fever.

He asked me if I wanted to do that again, another IUI. I said, yeah, just wait until the memory of this 4 days in labor fades significantly.

And here I am seven and half months later, going in for my first u/s. It's all worth it.

I never ever let anybody quiz me down about if this baby was planned or an accident.

Because no child deserves to be labeled like that.. and it implies a judgement that they have no right to make as an OB office.

Because of political correctedness if I walked in as a 40 year old lesbian mother who did donor sperm insemination people would likely bend over backwards not to offend me with questions or comments.

But because I'm a married, stay at home mother to almost six children, people feel free to ask "how old are you?" and ask if we "wanted" another one...

My husband is close to 50, and people sweetly tell me (lying or not) that I don't look 40.... must be those extra pounds fluffing up any wrinkles.

But

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 9:33am

Thank you so much.

Me and girls xmas 09
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 12:33pm

LaRae:

I'm sorry you were treated so badly.

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 4:24pm

LaRae,

I ended up changing docs with this pg.

WeeMee Profile Image

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 7:19pm

ok - add me to the list of everyone else who's really steamin' over that!

~Kathy

Brett 8/4/97

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 12:57am

I am happy to report that I called my OB from my last pregnancy (nearly 10 yrs ago!) and they are having me come in Friday for a complete

Me and girls xmas 09
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 1:34am
Good for you! I'm so glad you were able to easily switch doctors to someone you feel good about seeing. And I'm absolutely thrilled that you're going to tell your former OB's office why you're switching. I hope the message gets to the actual doc... Anyway, good for you for letting them know why you're leaving their practice. I think it's important for them to know. Please let us know how your first visit goes. I look forward to hearing about it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 6:06am

Good for you, LaRae! I'm glad that you were able to switch and go to someone that you already know!

I agree with all the others that the level of unprofessionalism by that office staff was shocking. I would like to think that the doctor(s) would want to know.

I will say, that when I had an unpleasant u/s experience with Benjamin (age 3) I did tel my OB at the next appt. and she got dates and time of appt. to let the referral service (it was a temp u/s tech) know they would not be having her back in their office. The tech made all sorts of rude comments about me being AMA while doing the 20-weeks u/s and had such a flat affect when delivering the gender news that I cried for days...in hindsight, I don't really think I was disappointed to learn I was having a boy, I think I was just shocked by how "old" she made me feel...at 37! HA!!!

Anyway, best wishes with this pregnancy. It's exciting to see everyone's tickers and to see a November due date, b/c it helps me to put into perspective just how very far along I have gotten!!! I will have a 3-month old when you deliver...breast feeding should be going strong; a 3 almost 4-year old in 2 day a week preschool and our miracle IVF baby a KINDERGARTNER!!! Wow!

Blessings,
Val

Pages