Old and cold

iVillage Member
Old and cold
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 11:37am

I'm freezing. Isn't that a symptom of something? Thyroid perhaps? Anybody else cold? I remember being heaving hot with my other pregnancies and I keep shivvering and it's annoying me. I have diabetes, so I stop and think, hmm. when did I eat last so that my blood sugar is not low.. and I'm fine.

But I'm cold. Annoyingly cold. With is tough to couple with morning sickness, being that I'm in my 7th almost 8th week. Ok, end of that whine.

After reading that another poster's doc had no other option because of her AMA (42) to transfer her to a high risk OB, I panicked. I dialed my OB and asked if I'm phased out of their practice because of some arbitrary age cut off.

The receptionist asked around, and the answer was no. So I'm with the usual

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 7:08pm
Are you usually cold?
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 9:42pm
Hi KelliSue. Sorry you've been so cold and are dealing with MS, too. Ugh. I'm a Type 1 diabetic who also has an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism). Thyroid disorders/disease often goes hand in hand with being diabetic so if you're a true diabetic (as opposed to suffering from gestational diabetes), there's a good possibility that the cause for your being cold is related to a thyroid disorder (you're right, constantly being cold is often a symptom of hypothyroidism). It's easy enough to have checked; it's done by measuring your TSH levels via a simple blood test. No fasting is needed for it, either. I've been on Synthroid (to regulate my thyroid function) for about four years now. Pregnancy can significantly affect thyroid function so it might not hurt to ask one of your docs to run a blood test to check your TSH. With each of my last two pregnancies (this one and my previous one), my doc increased my dose of Synthroid every month until delivery. Once I deliver the baby, he'll then start gradually decreasing the dose. Within several months of delivering the baby, I'll most likely be back to my pre-pregnancy dose or close to it. Let us know how you make out. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 11:04pm

My mom has thyroid disease and I was tested for Grave's disease in my 20s after a bout of thyroiditis as it was determined.

This is my first pregnancy where I wasn't sweltering hot, so I am going to ask for TSH levels on Friday. I have diabetes outside of pregnancy, so it's a possibility too, that

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 12:21am
Best wishes to you. I have found that it's really no big deal (dealing with an under-active thyroid). I take my pill in the morning and that's all I have to do (it must be taken on a completely empty stomach which means taking it 1/2 hr before eating or drinking anything (even water) or at least 2 hours after eating or drinking anything). As far as managing a disorder or disease, this is one of the easiest ones of all. Not that I wish this on anyone, but if there's going to be something wrong with someone, this is one of the easier things to take care of. Please let us know how you make out. I'm sure there are other causes for being cold so maybe it's not your thyroid at all. I look forward to hearing from you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 5:54am

Hi KelliSue.

I found this thread fascinating b/c I am CONSTANTLY COLD!!! I guess I just thought that was a normal symptom of pregnancy. I guess I also contributed it to the unusually snowy/cold winter we have experienced here in the Midwest, but now...after all these other ladies responses, I think I need to inquire about this next Monday at my OB appt.

Now, I noticed Joan mentioned that thyroid problems can accompany diabetes Type 1 & 2, but wasn't sure if it was a problem with pregnancy-induced diabetes.

I haven't been diagnosed with Gestational YET, but have had it twice and my OB said I could count on it a 3rd time. I am trying to eat, excercise and control blood sugar now. I was glucose tested at 9w and passed, but now I'm 18-weeks. hmmmm

I am going to inquire about this b/c I'm tired of the battle of the heater at our house and wearing oversized sweaters or my snuggie 24/7 to stay warm! LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 6:39am
I did a google. You will find that complaining of freezing while pregnant is actually a common complaint. Because of my mom's thyroid issues and my diabetes, I'll get tested anyway, but I suspect maybe my iron is low, and that it's just normal pregnancy complaints.

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-04-2010 - 11:17am

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably ask my OB too; at least mention to her that I'm always cold, but I do remember feeling this way with my first baby and ironically conception and due date are almost exact! LOL

Guess b/c I was pregnant in the spring/summer/fall with baby #2, I didn't notice it as much!

Take care

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 4:00pm

I run hot and cold during pg.

Carol, mom to 7