46 and pregnant. nice to meet you.

iVillage Member
46 and pregnant. nice to meet you.
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 9:31am
Well against all odds I seem to be pregnant. 5 weeks along. Glad that there's a forum like this.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 10:12am

Hello and congratulations. So is this a surprise for you or were you trying to get pregnant? We have lots of stories to share...

I'm Joan, a 42, and am pregnant with #3. We have two girls, a five year old and a two year old. This baby was pretty much a surprise for us and is a boy who's due in May. I look forward to hearing your story and getting to know you better. Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 12:49pm

It's kind of a surprise, because we figured it would never happen. My partner is 40. I have a 16 year old and he has no children. He and I have spoken a lot about having a baby. He's really wanted one as long as I've known him, but he says he'd rather be with me and have no children than have children with someone else.

We decided not to have any kind of medical intervention because it didn't feel right for us. So we didn't actually try to get pregnant, but we didn't try NOT to either. We've been together almost three years now and since I hadn't gotten pregnant until now, we'd given up on the idea.

So here we are, happy and scared. I know the odds are this pregnancy probably won't last, but hope springs eternal.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 2:22pm
Think positively! This pregnancy most certainly can stick! Yes, there are increased risks for some things like miscarriage and chromosomal abnormalities, but even with the increased risks, odds are still largely in your favor that you'll deliver a healthy baby. Somethings you can do if you're not already are to start eating healthy, taking a daily prenatal vitamin that contains folic acid, and eliminating or reducing your caffeine intake. Exercise is always good, too. Congratulations to you! I hope you're feeling well and will share your journey with us. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, you'll find lots of stories here: some of us have small families with young children, some of us have small families with older children, some of us have large families with children of all ages, and some of us find us here pregnant for the first time. Best wishes to you. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 3:17pm

Congratulations!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 3:43pm

Congratulations!

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 4:20pm

Hi Welcome and Congratulations!

~Kathy

Brett 8/4/97

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 8:16pm

WOW! Thank you all for being so kind and welcoming. I feel very encouraged by your words. I most certainly will stay around and hopefully get to know everyone better.

I am on prenatal vitamins, and eating well. I have cut down coffee, but is having one cup a day still a risk for me?

I haven't been to the doctor for this yet, but have an appointment on the 18th. I happen to have had a pelvic ultrasound last Monday for an unrelated condition - I'd been having a dull ache in my right hip for the past two months. When my home pregnancy test came back positive my mind instantly went bad places - I googled my symptoms like a maniac and decided that I probably had ovarian cancer which was making my HCG levels go up and leading to a false positive pregnancy test. The ultra sound had been scheduled to help diagnose my hip pain even before I had the positive pregnancy test..

But the doctor says everything checked out fine on the ultra sound, and he could even see the very early signs of my baby on the ultrasound :) THAT was an incredible thing to hear.

Now if I could just figure out what's been causing that pain in my hip...oh well.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 8:17pm

Welcome and congrats. I'm 42 (43 by my due date) and was also kind of taken by surprise by this pregnancy, although I also wasn't doing anything to avoid it. I am not, however, currently with either one of the two potential fathers, which complicates the situation but not my warm fuzzy feeling about having this baby. I know there will be many challenges, but by staying focused on the love I already feel for this LO, I'll be able to rise to the occasion.

Anyway, I tell you all this

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 8:23pm

Thank you for your reply. It certainly is quite an interesting situation. I haven't told my 16 year old daughter yet. When she was small she always insisted she didn't want any brothers or sisters - I think because that way she'd get all my attention!

But she's a lovely girl and I'm hoping she'll be happy when she finds out. I'm not telling anyone until I'm at least 12 weeks.

How does your 14 year old feel about the new baby?

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 8:28pm

Thank you for writing.

With my first child I was also alone. It was rough at times but I don't regret a thing. Being in an unhappy relationship with her father would have been far worse. We haven't seen or heard from him since she was three.

I wondered if my daughter would feel jealous of 'normal' families, but when she around six or seven she told me "I don't really want a father. I like it that it's just you and me, mommy."

Today we are super close, even through the allegedly terrible teenage years. She's my best friend, and I hope you have that same experience with your baby.