Finally...Some good news!

iVillage Member
Finally...Some good news!
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 6:07pm

First off, thanks so much for the funny comments you all left with regard to multiple stops for the bathroom on my St. Louis trip. Going there, it went well. Maybe 2 stops...like every 2 hours. Return trip home was a disaster. My 5-year old had a weak stomach bug...and kept having accidents in her panties. At some point, I wisened up and got out her pull-ups (for night-time accidents) and thus didn't have to keep changing her. At one particular rest area, I had the 5-year old doing the naked potty dance and wanting me to clean her bottom while my 3-year old CRAWLED on the floor...all while I'm hovering over a toilet with my pants down around my ankle. Sweat was pouring off my brow and I was doing all I could not to scream expletives at my two kids! LOL

Second, on Monday I had my monthly check-up at 18-weeks. I was a bit apprehensive (as I still had a bad taste in my mouth from the previous month's appt.) and my blood pressure was up a bit. (Did I mention that I also looked like a Stay-Puff marshmallow? A bit too much eating out/celebrating that involved sodium would be my guess! That and the 4-5 hour car ride.)

Anyway, so my OB mentioned that she wanted to run one more test...my AFP for spina bifida. I almost refused, except then she mentioned that she would like to rerun the entire quad screen just b/c she was curious as to what results I would get w/o the NT. She told me that she would call me with the results and that she would either tell me that the odds were better or still the same, but to expect the results to still be abnormal.

Well, I got my results back yesterday (1-day later) and my odds for Down Syndrome decreased significantly! While I am still preparing myself to expect anything on delivery day, my risk ratio went from 1:17 to 1:173. The AFP was totally normal or negative for spina bifida.

So....I'm confused. If my neck measurement was good at both 12 and 14 weeks (according to both the OB sonographer and the perinatologist) then why was my risk calculated to be so extreme (1:17)?

Honestly ladies, I didn't even ask for Monday's numbers b/c frankly they drive me insane!!! We still have our perinatology appt. at 21 weeks to look for soft-tissue markers, but I'm gonna leave it at that. I've always felt in my heart that this is a healthy baby, but either way I'm prepared to handle what I'm given.

Now, if I can just keep the sodium in check...I should be doing alright! Well...that and managing the carbs. I'm reallllly trying to avoid GD a 3rd time, but even if it does rear its ugly head, I don't want to have to do insulin. I'm amazed at the number of co-workers I've known that developed GD and could not control blood sugar thru diet and exercise...although at the end of pregnancy #2, I did have to take glyburide b/c I couldn't control my fasting blood sugar. (Joan...I'm all about being induced early with the diabetes!!!)

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 3:55am

Thanks so much for the update! I've been wondering how your weekend trip was. I can TOTALLY relate to your somewhat disastrous bathroom experience with your two girls since I have a five year old daughter and a two year old daughter. The image of you stuck with your pants down with sweat dripping from your brow while trying to control both your girls in a public restroom is one that is all too common to me! Good job, mama, on making it home safely with your girls. Potty stops, messy panties, and all, you made it!

And how encouraging to have received such improved stats from your last visit. I'm not sure how or why the odds changed so drastically but I find it very encouraging at the very least. The fact that your doc wanted to run the screenings again suggest to me that she's quite thorough and genuinely concerned about your emotional state as well as your and your baby's physical state. That's awesome. I'll keep you in my thoughts as you continue to try to eat healthy and limit those simple carbs. I've had a hard time restricting my sodium intake this time around too since all I crave is greasy, salty stuff. Ugh. Gee, do you think that has anything to do with why I'm reaching the proportions of a beached whale, LOL?!?!

I look forward to hearing what your peri has to say at your 21 week appointment but until then, I hope you're feeling well. Thanks again for the update.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 2:21pm

That's great to see such an improvement in the numbers- and to get such a quick response. I just learned the results of my Ultrascreen today after a full month! Anyway, everything's within the normal range, and although the doctor was careful to point out that's not a diagnosis, it does put my mind more at ease. I have my big 18+ week ultrasound next week, when I expect to get more information.

Oh, and about the potty breaks, I thought you were talking about yourself as much as your kids. For me, it's so much more frequent these days and harder to hold.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 6:52pm
So happy to read your good news! As for your question, I'm guessing your risk was largely from the PAPP-A. Maybe that level is better now? I had an excellent NT measurement on my T21 pregnancy but my PAPP-A was crazy low, like in the 1/1,000 percentile, which gave me a risk of 1 in 4. Also anything above an MoM of 1 on the NT will act to raise your risk, even if it is within the "normal" range. On my latest screen all my numbers were within normal, but the combo gave me a positive screen.
- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna