Hope I can handle 2 kids aged 2 & under

iVillage Member
Hope I can handle 2 kids aged 2 & under
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 10:12pm

My daughter and son will be 25 months apart when our son is born in mid May. I hope I can handle both kids while maintaining a clean and decent household and a business on the side. I think it's going to be hard and am trying to prepare myself for this change. Plus the fact that I am not the most patient parent will make this an even bigger challenge. Adding to the pressure is our daughter's extremely active lifestyle, jumping onto everything, pouring anything out, drawing, eating anything, etc.

Sorry I am venting. It was not easy pulling her out of the bathtub and trying to brush her teeth tonight. She screamed and cried while I said mad words at her. I think both of us were tired and frustrated.

Alright, back to more chores.....

Gisele

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 10:02am

Gisele,

You're right, you're either going to have to lower your standards, hire help, or take prescription sedatives. LOL.

May I suggest a mother's helper, hired to come in after school hours and do some light housekeeping and play with your toddler?

That was a sanity saver for me, and gave me two promised hours each day that I could nail my most important tasks. Or take a nap. Whichever was the emergency.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 10:03am

Hi Gisele. I am a single mom who is bipolar and suffers from anxiety and I have three kids ages 14,11 and 8. If I can do it anyone can. Do you have family support? Husband?

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 10:39am
It'll be tough, and I'm sure there will be times you lose your patience (we all do), but when you find yourself in a frenzy and ready to explode, try to take a step back, take several deep breaths, and remind yourself that these are little children who don't yet understand right from wrong and good from bad. I'm guilty of yelling occasionally and I feel so incredibly guilty afterwards. In those times, as soon as I'm calm, I apologize to my daughter and explain that I lost my patience because I was trying to do too many things at one time (or whatever the case may be) and ask her to help me by listening to what I ask her to do (or not do) the first time I request so that I don't have to ask her over and over again and end up losing my patience again. Parenting is very, very difficult and it's hard to find a one-fit answer or solution because each child, each parent, and each situation is very unique. Hang in there and take deep breaths. Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 12:01am

I am hoping the same thing...my daughter will be about 16 months old when our baby boy is born in Mid-May. My DD sounds like yours- very high energy and into EVERYTHING. We will be keeping her in daycare so we don't lose our spot, but I am happy with that plan because it means I won't lose my mind.

We all lose it occasionally. DD decided to try to hurl herself off the changing table during a diaper change the other day. I just managed to grab her before she went flying...and said a few (loud) mad words myself. We are now doing diaper changes on the floor (not easy at almost 8 months pg, but safer). I just keep telling myself it will be easier when they are older and can play together. Let's hope that's true. GL!

Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

family

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker