Birthday Dilemma

iVillage Member
Birthday Dilemma
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 5:02pm

Anyone find themselves in the position of having kiddos who are share a birthday?

I know it happens.

Just not sure what to do about it.

Mary Catherine will be 6 on August 4. Baby #3 is due on August 6.

Due to my history with gestational diabetes AND having had 2 prior c-sections, I pretty much get to pick my own due date. OB says she'll be happy if I make it to the last week of July, but if by some miracle I avoid the whole gestational diabetes thing and make it to 40-weeks do I have back to back birthdays or should the kiddos share a birthday?

Hmmmm....

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 5:54pm

My two sons b-days are Aug 4 & Aug 7. Both were sched c/s at later dates but they had other plans! I actually went into labor on the 4th with #2, but they were able to hold me off with upping my meds I was already on for pre-term labor - whew!!! Earlier that same year that I had my 2nd son, my sister had her DD on her 4 yo DS's bday. He was not at ALL happy with the new baby "stealing" his b-day. lol

I have to say though, now that almost 9 years have passed, it has really turned into something special that they share. We've done shared family parties and it was never a problem. Relatives usually were appreciative of the two-for-one event. Once the they hit school age, we did separate parties for the different groups of friends. The schedule usually ends up that someone picks the weekend before & the other the weekend after. Only once did I try to combine the "friends" party. It was ok, but I could see some parents of one of my son's friends actually felt bad they didn't bring a gift for the other (even though they didn't know my other son). I didn't like seeing people feel awkward about that.

I personally like the close b-days. I'm due toward the end of Oct with #3, but am actually hoping the baby comes on my b-day (the 10th). I delivered my first two at 37 & 36 weeks, so its a long shot to even get that far I think ;-)

~Kathy

Brett 8/4/97

Luke 8/7/01

Due with #3 10/26/10

pregnancy calendar

~Kathy

Brett 8/4/97

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 8:31pm

Well, we have a lot of kids, so everybody has a birthday close to someone else.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 10:40pm

How funny, Kathy! We must really enjoy November/December conceptions! LOL We have kiddos that share Aug. 4 and will soon have kiddos that possibly share another August birthday. (Personally, I dread August babies...not b/c of the heat, but b/c of the school-age cut-off...August 31 in KS...I hated being the youngest in the class..being an August baby myself!

My girlfriend spontaneously delivered on one of her other kiddos birthdays and at first the older one hated it...same thing...felt like baby "stole" his birthday, but she told him to think of it this way...

Every year, one person in the entire world will ALWAYS remember and share your special day with you.

I thought that was really sweet!

Thanks for the food for thought!

Val

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 10:47pm

I imagine in large families the shared birthday (or close to shared birthday) is not uncommon, barring twins, of course!

I'll have to ask my mom...she's the youngest of 6, but I never knew when her brothers (my uncles) birthdays fell...wonder if she shares a birthday with any of them?!

I guess I should tune in to the Duggar show more often...I mean really I'm betting the odds are high that of 19 kiddos (I think there's also a couple of sets of twins) someone shares a birthday!

Mary told me that if Baby is a girl she was up for sharing a birthday with her sister, but if baby is a boy she wants nothing to do with sharing! Kind of makes sense...logistically!

The nice thing about shared birthdays is that it does make it easier on family and all of ours live out of state.

Hmmmm...so much to think about! Plus 6-years is pretty far apart in age! Probably not too many shared "theme" parties! LOL

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 11:40pm
Wow, that's a tough one! I don't have children with birthdays close together, but I can say definitively that our eldest daughter, who's now five would NOT like to share her birthday. If she were the one I were considering sharing another chld's birthday with, I'd definitely opt to have the baby on any day other than her birthday. However, I think our two year old would probably like to share her birthday with a sibling. Since she's only two, it's hard to say for sure, but if her personality at the age of two is anything like what it will be in years to come, I'd feel pretty confident that having another child the same day she was born would be a good, fun thing to do. Since Mary will be six this year, maybe you could come right out and ask her if she'd like to share her birthday with her baby brother or sister. Of course you'd have to preface the discussion by explaining that sometimes you can't plan when babies arrive (LOL), but IF you have the choice to decide which day the baby's born, would she like it to be on the same day she was born? Let us know what you decide. Good luck. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 8:29am

I have no others and will likely only have this one so doubt I'll ever experience this dilemma. But I'd say probably not to worry about it too much and pick the day that works best for you to deliver. In time the kids may enjoy celebrating their birthdays close together or on the same day- and it might even save you a few dollars on parties. Of course, you can always have separate birthday parties if the kids end up wanting their own at some point. If they do end up with the same birthday and want separate celebrations, you can alternate who has their party first each year. Or some years you can combine the two and have an extra special birthday blow-out.

Photobucket