Starting the nursery

iVillage Member
Starting the nursery
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 3:27pm

Just wanted to share that I am beginning to start the decorating of the nursery. I never did anything last time as I didn't know what would happen since everything went crazy from week 16. I knew there were so many risks & complications associated with Dalton that I was afraid to do a nursery. I thought if all turns out okay & he is going to be in the NICU for a while before we can bring him home then we would do the nursery. Of course that wasn't the case so I was glad in the end that we didn't do anything. My Mom & I had only bought a few outfits for him. However, since this time we are having a girl those will remain tucked away & will always be Dalton's.

This time since things are going so well, I decided that I am going to be positive and start on the nursery. I bought the paint today as DH is going to paint the walls tomorrow. He had to prep the room first and last weekend he put primer on the walls so now ready for the paint. We decided to go with a color called Spring Leaf which is a light green. It sure is green in the can! LOL!! Can't wait to see it on the walls!

Then Mom & I found this great consignment shop that is rather upscale. She bought a nice changing table for the nursery. And I got a new diaper bag that was much cheaper than I had seen it in the stores. Plus, I have already bought the crib bedding & mobile to match.

Still have 4 months to go but I don't want to wait until the last minute plus with having to have a c-section again, I won't feel like doing much when I do get home with her. And work will be picking up more and more so I will be too tired to do much more so I thought let's get started now and add to the nursery little by little.

I will try & take some pictures once the walls are painted & post them online.

Hope everyone is doing well & feeling well too!

Have a great weekend!

Take care,

Michelle

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 10:23pm

How exciting to be starting the nursery, Michelle! The green you described sounds awesome -- I can't wait to see pics of it. Our little guy's room is BRIGHT green. We actually didn't paint it for him, we painted it for our two year old daughter, Eva, when we were getting ready for her homecoming. Fortunately, this green is very non-gender-specific so we decided to just keep it. I actually like it (although I'll admit, the first week or so I saw it, I thought it was a bit too fluorescent, LOL; DH and our older daughter, Lilah, chose the paint color and painted while Eva and I were in the hospital two + years ago).

Sounds like you scored a few nice items at the consignment shop, too. I never think to look in those. There are one or two more upscale ones here and I somehow always forget about them until I drive by them while running errands, etc.. Enjoy your decorating and shopping and please share pics when the room is ready. Best wishes to you. I hope you're feeling well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 8:30pm

Hi Michelle!

I am sooooo itching to start our nursery, but as we haven't had our BIG ultrasound yet...I don't know if Baby #3 is a boy or girl.

We only built a 3-bedroom home, so one of my kiddos is going to have to share a room.

What we do have is large finished attic space (so basically a 3-story house not counting the basement)that has always been our guest bedroom for when my parents/siblings/friends visit and a playroom. Since that space is so large we are converting it into a share nursery/sibling room.

I understand about your hesitancy in decorating the nursery. And even though my in vitro was a success and I went on to have a 2nd baby...I just could never get into the decorating-thing early...I was soooo paranoid that I would jinx myself!. Well, then once baby arrived, and I was working full-time, I just never invested the time or money into a cute nursery.

Au contraire this time!!! Like you, I am thinking positive and embracing this baby thing...our last! (I'm totally acting like a 20-something expecting their first! LOL....no baby showers, but we are going to throw ourselves a gender reveal party for our friends and family! HA!!!) Plus, since baby and sibling are sharing a room, I want to make it special for both of them!!!

We did have our NT results come back showing a 1:17 risk for Down Syndrome, but a quad screen performed at 18-weeks came back better with results for 1:173. Either way, I'm thinking positive and celebrating this little life!

Take care,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 6:14pm

Well, DH finally got to paint the nursery this past Sun. and oops - the color is way to flourescent green! It looked okay when he started around the trim areas and then when he rolled one of the walls it looked okay but when he finished - yikes! You need sunglasses to go in that room. It didn't look that way from the color swatch. Well, at least it didn't cost us for that gallon of paint since we had a coupon for Home Depot that we used to get it.

I think we have decided to do a yellow instead and hopefully we will have better luck with that one. This is the first time that we have picked a color from a swatch and it turned out bad. Oh well, I guess there is a first time for everything! LOL!!

So now will have to wait longer for nursery to be painted since we have to go back & buy more paint & then wait again for DH to have time to paint it. I think it will need 2 coats as well (well I hope that will be enough to cover that green!).

Hope that everyone is doing well

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 5:44pm

Oh boy..I mean girl! LOL

Good luck with the new color...the only color I ever had trouble with from a swatch was Yellow! LOL Go mild...no citrus!

Have fun and enjoy the redo,
Val