40 and pregnant with new job

iVillage Member
40 and pregnant with new job
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 9:19pm
Hi, I just took an at home test and it came out +. Waht do I do now? I have only been at new job for 5 days. Do I wait or tell? The boss does not understand people with kids. So I am scared. Help
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 10:08pm
Hello and welcome. Congratulations on your new pregnancy. I personally wouldn't say a thing until I'm at least at or just passed the three month mark. I don't know anything about your position or the industry you're in, but your pregnancy is no one's business but yours and your partner's/DH's in my (very humble) opinion, particularly this early on. Are you feeling well? How far along do you think you are? What kind of work do you do? I hope to learn more about you and I hope you'll stick around for any support you can find from us here. Best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 8:09pm

Hi there, and congratulations!

Like Joan, I agree that waiting until you hit the 3-month mark is best. Especially since this is not an employer that you've had a long-standing, intimate relationship with.

I have shouted the news from mountaintops the MOMENT (ha!) I conceived, only to have to share the news that I miscarried...often with co-workers that I really didn't have personal relationships with.

So, from my experience, I too would wait until you hit that 3-month mark. And in this economy...it may be illegal to terminate employment based on pregnancy, but this is a dog eat dog world!

Best wishes,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 11:15pm

I'm actually looking for work while pregnant, and with every week that passes, it becomes more obvious. So while a month or two ago I was dealing with the "should I or shouldn't I tell?" question, that's becoming a moot point-- if I even get to the stage of an interview. The job market is already so terrible in general and especially where I live, that I doubt very highly anyone will hire me before the baby's born.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 8:42pm
Thanks to everyone who commented. I will wait till the 3 month mark. Right now I just want to be in the moment.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 11:28pm

And btw, congrats on your pregnancy. Enjoying the moment sounds like a good way to go. I have tried to do so rather than worry about how it will affect my employment prospects.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Edited 3/27/2010 11:30 pm ET by karen2010
Photobucket