21-Week U/S Today. It's A...

iVillage Member
21-Week U/S Today. It's A...
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 12:56pm

healthy baby BOY!

Perinatologist said there was no doubt...definitely 3 legs there! HA!!!

Still letting the news sink in. If I'm honest, and I feel like this is really the only place I can be...I was a wee bit disappointed.

My sister, Joy, and I are 6 years apart and so I was hoping my daughter, who will be 6 when baby is born, would also have a sister. *Sigh*

On the other hand my birthday dilemma is solved. Since this will be my 3rd c-section and I get to work with my OB on picking a date, I will probably go with the last week of July and not on Mary's birthday (08/04).

MORE IMPORTANTLY, the Level 2 showed no markers for Down Syndrome. Of course, my peri made sure I understood that about 50% of the time, no soft-tissue markers show up on u/s with DS babies, BUT, from what he could see, baby looked very healthy. He lowered my risk from about 1:17 to 1:28 or 1:30. (My repeat quad screen did come back 1:173, but I think we're erring on the side of caution.)

Since we are not doing amnio, he released me from their practice and said that my own OB could perform the necessary follow-up growth scans just to make sure HE is growing properly.

Soooo....looks like Madeline, Caroline, Grace, and Faith are out the window as name options.

I have NO ClUE for baby boy names. Chris and I can rarely agree...we were still arguing in the delivery room when Benjamin arrived! HA!

Oh...and the saddest thing...in the minivan on the way to WalMart to get plastic Easter eggs for Mary's classroom she said, "Mama, were you joking about it being a boy?" I said no and she made a sad face in the rearview mirror. It was then that I noticed tears in her eyes. She cried like three little tears, which got me crying, and then in true Mary fashion she was laughing and joking with me. At WalMart she kept pointing out pink baby clothes and strollers, etc. and saying, "Mama...does this make you sad?" LOL

Not sure how my mom will handle the news (I'm joking of course!) as she was the youngest of 6...5 older brothers and will now have 6 grandSONS and only 1 granddaughter!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 1:28pm

Congrats on the good 21 week u/s with no markers for DS! That is great news! And Yay for lowered risk!

Sorry you are a little disappointed with the gender but I'm sure once you (and your daughter) get used to the idea that will fade away and be replaced with excitement.

- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 1:53pm

First, congrats on a healthy baby!!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 2:14pm

Jenna,

You are so right.

I'll never forget when I found out that Benjamin was a boy...I cried then too b/c I had this vision of matching hair bows and coordinating dresses.

Now, I can't imagine my life w/o little man and I'm certain it will be the same way with this little guy.

In fact, I've gone back and forth on the gender thing...while I was hoping for a sister for Mary, only b/c I love having a sister myself, six years is far apart in age. Joy and I weren't exceptionally close growing up...it was after we both became mothers that we really connected. Now we talk every single day even though we live hundreds of miles apart.

Also, and this sounds so selfish, but Mary is such a special gift...I mean, they all are, don't get me wrong. But, there is something about her being my first born and IVF baby that makes her girly-ness all that more special!

I am happy for Benjamin that he will have a brother...my own brother doesn't know what it's like to have a brother so that's nice for Benjamin. Plus they will only be 3 1/2 years apart...not 6.

I've already got nursery/shared brothers ideas swirling around in my head.

Thanks for the congrats,
Val

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 2:21pm

Hi Donna!

Wow...you have an incredibly large and blessed family!!!

"Second, I totally understand where you are coming from. I had a boy and a girl and then had five more boys."

I am glad that your daughter finally got those sisters that she longed for! That is my sadness...that my daughter will not have a sister...hopefully, one day, she will have some awesome sister-in-laws.

It is ironic that my mother, the youngest of 6 and only girl would someday have 7 grandchildren and only one be a girl. Poor Mimi (grandma). Oh well, Mary is really going to cash in on this as the years go by!!! LOL

Thanks for your well wishes. Yes, I am relieved to see no soft-tissue markers. Of course, I'm preparing myself for anything to come, but with our infertility and loss history, this baby is such a blessing, regardless of gender and any type of chromosomal abnormality. He is already very loved.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 3:01pm

Congratulations on your baby boy! I'm not sure if you recall, but when I found out our baby was boy, I was quite bummed, too. A tear came to my eye when you described Mary's reaction to the news. The poor little girl. : ( Our eldest daughter (5 1/2) cried a few times at the news of our having another baby. She's still not very happy about it ("Babies are boring." "Babies are annoying!"), but she's come a long way since we first broke the news to her six + months ago. So there's hope that she'll come to terms with it before the baby arrives.

I'm glad to hear you decided on a birthday date. Mary will probably appreciate having her birthday all to herself (I say that since she wasn't so happy about having a baby brother as opposed to a sister). You could also maybe try telling her that she'll always be the extra special grandchild since she's the ONLY girl. This will leave her something special that is her and only hers. Oh, boys names, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!! Our little guy will be here in 6 or 8 weeks and he's still nameless!!! There seem to be so many more girls' names boys' names. Ugh! We're down to two: Joseph Anthony (after my late G'Pop, Joseph), or Anthony Joseph (after DH who is an Anthony). Obviously I want Joseph A; hubby wants Anthony J. Neither of us are willing to budge one bit so I don't know where we go from here... Just know that I empathize with you on this...

Thanks for updating us. I hope you continue to be well. Keep the updates comin'!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 3:58pm

Ditto to everything everyone else said. Ever since my NT scan at 13+ wks, I've felt kind of the opposite- I thought the baby looked like a boy and got attached to the idea, so would have been a bit disappointed if it hadn't been (it's nearly certain I'm also having a boy). But again, the best news to get is that the bay's healthy. Congratulations.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 8:28pm

Hi Joan!

Thanks so much for your well-wishes!

I don't think I was around yet when you announced finding out baby's gender, but you have referred to the news in a few other posts and I got the sense that finding out it was a boy took a bit of getting used to! LOL

I think b/c everyone I know is having a boy (on here and in person) that I would just be the odd man out and have a girl.

When I spoke with my sister this afternoon, she kept screaming "girl or boy" and I couldn't get the words out! LOL She screamed, "it's a boy isn't it?" and then when I broke into hysterical laughter it eased my mind. I forgot that her first born, Alister, was born in July and she said it was a relief to pass on her favorite baby boy outfits b/c she couldn't bear to part with them...her hubby had a vasectomy. :( She wasn't really ready for that.

I am going to send my mom a bouquet of flowers to her work tomorrow since her birthday is on Friday. We live several hundred miles apart so I can't get to tell her in person.

Thanks again,
Val

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 8:34pm

Hi Karen!

Thanks for your well wishes.

See, I think that's what I did...I "felt" like it was a girl...even though I didn't have any confirmation of that and sort of began projecting girl images in my mind. LOL

I had morning sickness with Mary...none with Ben...and a ton with this pregnancy. I had acne with Mary...none with Ben...and now I do again with this pregnancy. I carried high with Mary and low with Ben...I'm carrying high again.

Interestingly, baby was breech today (which isn't really an issue b/c 1) the point is sort of moot after having 2 c-sections, and 2) Dr. Finley said baby could turn 5 times today and be head down by delivery time (and he did turn during the appt. to transverse breech), but I wonder if that if why I look more like I did with Mary than Ben...b/c the placenta is anterior and baby's been breech.

Anyway,thanks for the well wishes!

Val

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 3:20pm

I have never been able to find a "sign" with any of my pregnancies as to what the baby was going to be.

Pregnancy%20ticker