Hi, I can't sleep!.........

iVillage Member
Hi, I can't sleep!.........
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 10:20pm

Hi everyone, I'd like to join this board! I'm Molly, age 40 with 3 children already ages 8, 5 (actually 6 at the end of April) and 3. I have a bit of insomnia so I'm here surfing ivillage message boards!

I recently got a BFP and am absolutely thrilled, but DH doesn't know it yet!! Here's what happened: DH was very firmly saying "no more kids..." but at the same time, he was not taking any responsibility about contraception. I couldn't be on the pill because I'm on anxiety meds (very low dose however). For the last 3 years I have been telling DH, "look if you really don't want more kids then why don't you go get a vasectomy, or at least buy some condoms?" His answer was always "yeah yeah" but then he'd never do it.

I got a massive attack of baby fever after turning 40 (who'd a thunk it?!) and he knew it. But he limited himself to asking me "are you fertile?" This cycle when he asked me that on day 8, I said "No," because 1)

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 1:57am

Hello and congratulations! Welcome to the board, too. I'm glad to hear how excited you are about having another baby. I hope your husband takes the news well. It sounds like you have a great attitude about it regardless. So how far along do you think you are? I think I was about 7 weeks before I started feeling any symptoms this tie around; hopefully you're feeling well. BTW, I'm Joan, and 42, and am pregnant with #3. We have two young girls, ages five and two. This baby is a boy who's due the middle of May and who's still nameless. I look forward to learning more about you and your pregnancy; I hope you'll keep posting with updates, news, questions, concerns, etc.. The ladies here are full of information, suggestions, ideas, etc.. Congratulations again and best wishes to you.

Edited 4/2/2010 1:58 am ET by cl-my2girlslilahandeva

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 6:21am

Hi there and thanks for the welcome! Congratulations to you too, on your upcoming baby boy.

I began feeling symptoms almost immediately, in fact I haven't even reached cycle day 30 and I've already had quite a lot of symptoms. My tummy even seems to be a bit bulgy which seems impossible --?!?! I am naturally thin and am on pregnancy number 4 so maybe that's it? Or all the extra eating I've been doing (craving and eating peanuts big time over the last 5 days or so!)? Or could it be that my last period wasn't really a period? Unfortunately I can't get a dr's appt any sooner than May 4 so for the moment I will have to wait.

Please write me anytime, I'd be happy if we could keep each other company!

Molly

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 10:34am
Hi Molly. I'm a fellow insomniac, BIG TIME! I average about 2 - 3 hours of sleep each night. Between my sore ribs, restless leg syndrome, aching abs and pelvic muscles, I rarely sleep anymore. I'm exhausted, just not able to sleep. I usually pop on the board a few times throughout the night and wee hours of the morning hoping to see a post or two to respond to -- I'm usually completely and utterly bored. Ugh. I hope you're able to get some rest.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-02-2010 - 11:52pm

Hi Joan, do you really sleep just 3 hours at a time?!!? That must be so hard for you, along with your other disturbances (aches & pains). How do you pass the time? Do you watch TV or read a book or eat? Do your girls sleep through the night well, or do you need to tend to them?

My 3 kids all sleep well through the night, though the 3-year-old sometimes wakes up a little too early. For the last 12 months or so, DH and I have been able to enjoy relatively uninterrupted nights.

Well, to help keep you occupied, let me ask you this -- have you got enough room in your house for everyone? We live in a pretty small apartment, which for now suits the 5 of us, but if all goes well with this new baby, someday we'll have to figure something out! We have one closet which could actually be converted into a bedroom, if the architect says that the wall could be moved over. We'd rather do interior work than move to another place, but I don't know yet, I'll worry about that a few years from now! Anyway what kind of place do you live in?

Take care & I wish you zzzzzzzzzzzz's!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-03-2010 - 4:53am

First, congradualtions.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 12:25am

Hi Molly. I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner. Our internet was down for over a day (supposedly due to a large fire somewhere), then the weather was so nice the following day I never really had a chance to hop on the computer since Anthony and I were busy playing with the kids outside most of the day. Then at night, when I typically spend a lot of time looking for posts, I decided to try to make myself sleep by keeping the TV turned off and reading a book and/or magazines. Guess what -- it worked! I got a few hours sleep!

But to answer some questions in your post, here it goes... Oh how I wish I slept 3 hours at a time. I'm lucky if I get 3 hours total sleep each night. I typically sleep in about 1/2 hr to 1 hr intervals. I usually have to pee at least once every 1/2 hr throughout the night so between that, being plain uncomfortable, and one or both of my girls waking up, sleep is a very, very rare commodity around here (for me, anyway; DH sleeps just fine, LOL!). I've been on the couch for just about this whole pregnancy. I mostly watch TV although I'm finding that I'm just getting bored with that. So I've added books and magazines to my night-time ritual and they usually make me tired enough to fall asleep. However, my sleep duration is incredibly short. Neither of my girls sleep through the night and it always seems like just as I'm entering REM, one of them cries out for me or comes out to tell me she needs a drink, has to pee, etc.. Or else I have to pee, LOL. You're so lucky to have uninterrupted nights. I can't wait for those days although at this point, considering our oldest is five and still doesn't sleep through the night, I'm not sure if or when they'll start happening, LOL!

We live in a single home which is quickly becoming too small for us. Our main living area is all on one floor which has four bedrooms but only one bathroom. The one BR is killing us! We have an open concept main living area (kitchen and living room are open to each other), however, although the kitchen is eat-in, it's not large and we have no dining room. So again, with the addition of a third child, we're very quickly running out of room. Although we technically have four bedrooms, 2 1/2 years ago I decided I wanted the one bedroom to become the laundry room (it was previously in the basement). So it now boasts my HE washer and dryer and to be honest with you, I don't care what any real estate expert says, it's the BEST improvement we made to this house. I can say very proudly that our laundry is NEVER behind and I actually don't mind doing it. The laundry room doubles as the kids' playroom which works out well; Eva (our two year old) can easily keep herself occupied in there while I fold clothes, etc.). So I guess we have enough bedrooms since the two girls now share a room with bunk beds which leaves the remaining bedroom available for the new little guy scheduled to arrive in a few weeks. Eventually I'd like each child to have their own room but for now, three bedrooms is adequate.

We started trying to finish our basement a few years ago and roughed-in a full bathroom adjacent to a family room/play room and a home office, but the only thing our time and budget allowed us to complete was the office. So one day, we hope to have the second bathroom finished in the basement along with another place for the kids to hang out in, but to be totally honest, I'm not a big fan of finished basements. They still feel, look, and smell like basements to me (and our basement is very dry). But until we win the lottery, I start working again, or Anthony gets a huge raise, we'll have to keep striving to make our basement a functioning part of our home. We have a great back yard though, which is a god-send in the spring and summer. We have a large jungle-gym the girls love, and this year the Easter bunny brought them a huge outdoor trampoline which keeps them occupied for decent periods of time (well, at least our five year old; Eva's still too young to leave out there unattended). I can see the whole backyard from any window in the rear of our house, including our two kitchen windows which is where I spend most of my time.

You're lucky that you have the ability to turn your closet into a bedroom. We can't consider moving or building up/out anytime soon, but if/when we do, Anthony and I have differing ideas on what's best. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our neighborhood and the girls' school just won an award this year and is now ranked in the top 1% of all elementary schools in all of Ontario, so I really don't want to leave where we are. I want to hire an architect to redesign our entire first floor and add a second floor. Anthony wants to just fix up what we have, sell, and move into a different home. I guess in the end, it'll come down to what's most affordable. But either of these options is several years down the road...

OK, enough about me and our home. I'm sure I gave you more information that you were expecting, but I actually am not sleepy at all tonight due to the Coke I drank around 5:30 this evening. I never buy or drink soda, but I've been craving a Coke or Pepsi for well over a week now so when we took the girls to a local park after dinner tonight, I couldn't resist picking one up on the way. Now I'm paying the price.

I hope you continue to feel well and are able to get some rest. Do it while you can -- between the pregnancy and a newborn on the way, your time is limited. Take care and sweet dreams. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 2:16am

Hi Joan, What a nice long message you wrote me! I loved reading it -- thank you very much! I would have responded sooner, but we spent the 3-day Easter weekend at my mother-in-law's place in the countryside where they have no computer. I'm back now Tuesday morning, kids are off to school and DH went to work. Let me eat a few more peanuts here and then I'll keep writing!......

First of all, your home and your neighborhood sound just wonderful. Plenty of space, nice area... it sounds like the type of house & neighborhood I grew

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 2:19am

Melissa, congratulations to you too! You must be very excited! When is your EDD?

Thank you for your message. Actually, telling my DH did go better than I expected, and I'm crazy happy about it now!......

Molly

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 9:14am

Melissa, congratulations to you too!

Molly

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 12:14am

Molly

Due Oct 17th.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers