iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 2:00pm

Hi, Teresa-

Welcome to the board.

reena050809.jpg 0809 picture by reena102

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 5:17pm

Hi Teresa,

Welcome to the board. I am also 44 years old and am expecting #7 Dec. 1st. I suppose I do worry some about possible health concerns for this baby, but I try not to. Since we did not plan this pregnancy, we just consider this child a gift and will deal with whatever challenges as they come.

Best of luck ttc! Hopefully this is the month for you! KUP!

Kim

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 3:14pm

Hi Teresa.

I am currently 40 (will be just shy of 41 at delivery...an August baby for my August birhtday!).

As I have always been "AMA" at delivery (35, 37 and now 40), I guess that I didn't worry enough about chromosomal abnormalities to let it prevent us from trying to conceive.

Now, I will share with you that about 18 months ago, I miscarried at 10-weeks. It was assumed to be a trisomy related loss (no pathology was performed as I had 2 living "normal-chromosomed" kiddos and I was 39 at the time...just sort of a given. We had a weak heart beat at 7-weeks, so while disappointing, it wasn't altogether shocking.

Eleven months after the miscarriage (m/c in 12/08; conception 11/09) we conceived again on our own. (I believe the "statistics" for natural conception after age 40 is only about 1% chance per month...so only about a 12% chance per year, but from seeing all the women on this thread you'd think it was much higher!!!)

I did the 1st trimester NT Screening which turned up some quirky blood work...showed increased risk for Down Syndrome 1:17. My PAPP-A hormone was low and my hCG was high. We were referred to our perinatologist and soft-tissue scans at 14w6d and 21w3d showed no markers for DS. We are opting NOT to do amnio at this time so b/c our 21 week u/s looked good we were released from the peri. Monthly growth scans will be performed, but at my own high-risk OBs office.

I have done so much research on testing/screening that I'm almost dizzy! I think it is really common for women over age 35, and especially 40 to get false positives on screening blood work. (I'm not assuming that my results are a false positive...in fact, I've prepared myself by learning as much as I can about DS and what needs to happen at delivery). I've also learned that false positives are more common with male fetuses (we learned we are having a boy) and also when the mother is overweight. (I was not at ideal body weight at conception!) :)

So, I think that there are a lot of factors that can interfere with the results.

(Due to our infertility history and loss (5 miscarriages 1 in vitro baby!) that is why I am fearful of having the amnio done. B/c the results wouldn't change our outcome (no termination) we decided to just go with whatever is to be (and educate ourselves).

Wishing you all the best with any future conception. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Valerie

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 8:14pm

Hi Valerie,

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-15-2010 - 10:50pm

The risks for chromosomal abnormalities are higher for those of us of AMA, but if we're seriously considering having a baby, to put things in perspective it also helps to flip those odds around. At 44, based on your age alone, you still have a 95 percent chance of having a baby without chromosomal abnormalities. Good luck with your quest. If at first you don't succeed, you can always try, try again. Let us know how it goes.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 1:12am

Hello, Teresa. Welcome to the board. You already received some great words of encouragement. I'm just chiming in to wish you the best of luck in your TTC efforts. My hubby and I seem to be able to conceive pretty easily; we conceived our first daughter when I was 36, our second when I was 39 (whom I delivered when I was 40), and this baby when I was 42 (I'm presently pregnant with #3 who's due mid-May). Our first child was planned; each of the next two were surprises although last Jan (2009), we decided to try for #3. After trying for about five months, and largely due to the advice of my OB, we decided to stop trying (I wasn't upset with my OB for advising against our TTC another child as I greatly respect his opinion. His advice just seemed to put things into perspective for us so we decided we were happy with the two healthy girls we already had). Of course, as is the case for so many women/couples, 1 1/2 months after stopping TTC and just three weeks before I was supposed to have the Mirena IUD re-inserted, I found myself pregnant......

If having another baby is what you and your SO want, than I say go for it. Being a nurse, you're probably already aware of the increased risk for miscarriage and other chromosomal abnormalities, however, I think the risks for these disorders is much less than what most people think they are. For a 40 year old woman, the risk of conceiving a DS baby is something like 1:87 and the risk of conceiving a child with any chromosomal abnormalities something like 1:62. At age 42, the risk of conceiving a DS child is something like 1:62 (I think these odds are fairly accurate as I'm going from memory...). But if you do the math on them, the odds work out to your having a >99% chance of conceiving a child with no chromosomal disorders. I think it's just in our nature to worry about the health and well-being of our children so yes, I'll speak for most of us hear and say that the thought of having a child with any trisomy is/was a concern, but I think that concern exists for women of all ages, not just for those of 40 or older. Just my opinion... : ) I wish you the best on this journey. If you haven't already visited the TTC Over 40 Board, I think you'll find that board to also be a HUGE support system for you while you're TTC. I'm anxious to know the results of your HPT when you test next week; if you're so inclined to do so, please share with us! : ) I hope to see you posting here with a BFP announcement one day soon...

Here's the link to the TTC Over 40 board if you haven't already checked it out:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppttcaf40

Photobucket

Photobucket