Intro and Question

iVillage Member
Intro and Question
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 1:56pm

Hi there!

My name is Wendy and I am 42 expecting baby #7. I am a homeschooling Mom and my children are ages 2 to 12. I had a chemical pregnancy in January so I have taken bunches of HPTs. Last week they had gotten really dark and my FRER test line was much darker than the control line. I made the mistake of taking a test today and it is much lighter! I took a FRER and then took an internet test. They are both lighter.

I am still really sick and tired (I have 24 hr a day nausea for several months) but I am still worried. I am 6w4d today.

Also, my midwives won't even see me until 12 weeks and we don't have maternity insurance so I don't want to spend a bunch on blood tests.

Has this ever happened to any of you?

Thanks and blessings,

Wendy

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 2:27pm

Congratulations and welcome.

It is my understanding that after a certain amount of time

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 5:23pm

Hi Wendy.

Hoping that "congratulations" isn't too early in this case.

I'm not sure what a FRER is...First Response-something?

I do know that time of day can affect the result as well as how hydrated or dehydrated you are. They say first morning urine is truly the best for hCG as it can be diluted throughout the day.

Hang in there. And while a blood test is going to be the most definitive, perhaps you should give yourself a break and allow a day or two to pass before you try testing again.

I've tested as late as you (6 week window) b/c I didn't realize I was pregnant and never had a problem getting a result.

Hmmm....

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way,

Valerie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 5:40pm

Hi and thanks for the message.

I got a definite positive it was just lighter than last week. It was positive as soon as the fluid passed over it but just didn't get as dark as I had hoped. I am still so sick and I hope that is a good sign.

Thank again,

Wendy, Homeschooling Mama Expecting #7 in Early Dec.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 6:17pm

Hi Wendy,

My name is Kim and I am expecting #7 as well. I am 44 years old. I wouldn't worry about the color of your hpt, a line is a line. I don't think those tests were made to measure how much hcg is in your urine and I've heard that different batches of tests will show darker/lighter than others. I think the fact that you still have plenty of symptoms is a good sign. Having said all that, I totally understand your worry. I am the queen of worry! Sending you SBV! Keep us posted on how you are...oh, and welcome to the board!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 7:27pm

Thanks Kim,

I am really trying to relax. I feel just like I always do when I am pregnant (terrible!) which is reassuring.

I am glad there are a few of us over 40 on the Dec. board. It makes me feel a little more normal.

Congrats on the great U/S!

Blessings,

Wendy

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 8:15pm

Hi Wendy. Welcome and congratulations on #7! There are a few of you here expecting baby #7. How do you do it?!?!?! Although I'm much less nervous about going from 2 to 3 than I was going from 1 to 2, I couldn't imagine running a household with 7 children in it! Kudos to all you super moms! : )

I've heard that the darkness of the line isn't indicative of anything -- either good or bad. I wouldn't place too much stock in the color of the line, but rather, just that the positive result was visible. I know it's easier said than done, but here's hoping you're able to relax a bit. Although you don't have maternity insurance, can you schedule a general well-being or check-up visit with your family/primary doc and maybe ask him/her to do a blood test to look at your hcg levels? Just an idea to maybe get around having to wait until 12 weeks to see your midwife. Maybe you could try Googling something about whether the darkness of the line in the particular HPT you used varies and if so, what it could mean. Just an idea....

BTW, I'm Joan, and 42, and am pregnant with #3 who's due mid-May. Congrats again and best wishes to you.

I hope you feel well and will continue to post with questions, concerns, or random thoughts, etc.. Congrats again and best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 10:43am

Wendy,

Not sure what a chemical pregnancy or FRER test is, but I had my first US done way too early in pregnancy (wk 4) and as

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 12:50pm

Thanks so much everyone!

I decided to stop taking tests. My DH thnks I am crazy to wonder if everything is ok considering how sick I am. He's probably right. I will just assume that baby is fine until something changes. This is the first pregnancy of 6 that I haven't had lots of early bleeding so even that has me worried!! I am crazy. I should just relax.

Looking forward to this journey with all of you!

Blessings,

Wendy, Homeschooling Mama to 4 girls, 2 boys and expecting #7 in early December

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 7:43pm

Hi Wendy,
Congratulations on your pg! I hope and pray this is a sticky baby for you.

I'm Carol and I am also a homeschooling mom. I'm expecting baby #7 too. My kids are 3 boys and 3 girls ranging in age from 15 months to 13 years. Welcome.

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 7:51pm

Hi Carol!

I think our children must all be pretty close in age.

Pages