I'm 24-Weeks Today/Nusery Theme!

iVillage Member
I'm 24-Weeks Today/Nusery Theme!
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 5:45pm

Breathing a huge sigh of relief as I hit the 24-week mark today!

While I'm by no means "out of the woods" I am relieved to have hit this wonderful milestone.

I've never had a preemie (heck, I've never even gone into labor on my own!), but I've also never been over 40 when pregnant.

According to the March of Dimes stats, a 24-weeker has about a 39%-75% chance of survival. At 25-weeks, viability raises to 50% and at 26-weeks bumps up to 80%. So, seems like only positive results from here on out! Plus if little Baby Duggar can hang in there than that gives the rest of us hope!

In other news, my 3 year old (3y4m) is officially potty trained! I loved calling my MIL to share the news with her...she was completely put out that Benjamin was not yet potty trained. Yet, Megan, another grandchild who started using the potty at 2y4m STILL has to have someone take her to the potty, help her wipe, and pull up/down her clothes.

When I say Ben is done...I mean DONE! Of course, I insist on wiping his little rear for him after pooping, but if I wasn't around that boy would do it all. It took us literally 1-day of practice and an entire week of regular reminders, but now, week 2, he is LOCKING me out of the stall in the women's bathroom! HA

Also, I finally decided on nursery/shared bedroom theme. I am using Benjamin's nursery bedding (vintage fire truck by Wendy Bellimissio) and doing a vintage toy/transportation theme. I didn't want to go strictly fire truck (that just seems so cliche being married to a fire fighter and all!), and this way I can incorporate trains/airplanes/vintage childrens' books that I've collected, etc. I also have some jacks and marbles to put on display on shelving! Can't wait to get the room painted and the vintage alphabet border put up!

Hope everyone is doing well,

Val

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-16-2010 - 9:24pm

Wow, Val, I can feel your excitement just from reading your post! Hooray for 24 weeks! And yes, I agree, from here on out the fear of delivering such a preemie baby gets less and less with each week.

Your nursery theme sounds darling. You HAVE to post pics when everything's done. I like how you're incorporating the idea of other means of vintage transportation into the theme along wit the vintage firetrucks. I can't wait to see it. And double YAY for potty training Ben. Way to go, mama! Geez, Lilah was potty trained for something like a year + before she even remotely considered wiping her on bum after pooping. Good job!

It was great to hear your update. Thanks for sharing your joy with us. Continue to feel well and keep those updates a comin'!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 1:43pm

Hi Joan!

Thanks so much for your cheers and celebrations! You are the perfect moderator!

Yes, I am finally getting excited about having another boy. It has taken some getting used to and the only time I feel really bummed out is when I venture the clothing aisles! Seriously, the manufacturers need to step up to the plate and create some cute clothing for boys that isn't always sports-related or transportation themed! I did see a really cute onesie at Carter's that said, "Mama's New Man". It was adorable and apparently every other expecting mother thought so as well b/c all of the newborn/0-3 mo. size was out. Ha!

And can I tell you, I did such a horrible (thorough) job on instilling in Mary Catherine that I needed to wipe her bum after pooping that at age 5 1/2 she STILL calls me to come wipe her. Not.even.kidding. UGH I've told her that in kindergarten next year she really needs to start wiping herself (she just doesn't poop when she's at PreK) and she has begun to try. Oh goodness!

Will definitely post pics on the family blog as the nursery/shared bedroom project gets tackled. We have a 3rd story (a finished attic) that we are converting from guest bedroom/playroom to the boys room so lots of space for little boys to romp around in!

Take care,
Val

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 2:17pm
I couldn't agree with you more about boys' clothes! They're so boring compared to all the darling stuff available for girls. Blue, green, and beige baseball, football, dump truck and lion/animal garb. How boring. Oh well... Looking forward to seeing pics when the room is done. Stay well.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 2:18pm
Congrats on 24 weeks AND the potty training! Woohoo! I can only imagine such huge accomplishments. Your boys' room sounds really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-17-2010 - 7:38pm

Congratulations on the 24 week mark! I hit it next Thursday and I am looking forward to it too!

Also, how great that your little one is now potty trained. Sounds like he is ready now to be a big brother! It will sure make your life easier.

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 9:55pm

Thanks!

I am starting to get really excited about this whole "vintage toy" theme.

My sister told me that Target was carrying a line (at Xmas) of vintage toys. I'm hoping that they still are selling this...I think they are.

I decided on the wallpaper border over the weekend and got it ordered today. It is the cutest vintage "flashcard" border. A has a vintage plane for the picture; B was vintage bicycle, etc. My little ones favorite was letter D with a cute Dalmatian (daddy's a fire fighter).

Hope to get started on the painting soon.

Val

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 9:58pm

Hi Carol!

Thanks and congrats to you too...it is such a great feeling to hit that 24-week milestone.

BTW...since you are mom to 6 did you find potty training got easier with subsequent kiddos? Do the little ones want to follow in the footsteps of the older ones?

I can imagine that with several little ones in a row, it would make sense financially to get them out of diapers sooner rather than later.

Val