We're Having a Gender Reveal Party :)

iVillage Member
We're Having a Gender Reveal Party :)
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 3:35pm

Okay, so I know at 40+ years old this sounds totally hokey, but we are having a "gender reveal party" this weekend!

Actually, I felt a bit silly in planning something that seems so "20ish" and "first baby-ish", but we really are over the moon excited about #3.

So, (my husband thinks I'm crazy...LOL), I sort of split the difference and created invites that read:

Join us for some Chillin' and Grillin'
Party Location info
Kids Welcome
Please bring one side dish
RSVP info, etc. etc.

Then, I created a small insert that reads:
"As you know we are expecting baby #3 and have kept the gender a secret. We are now ready to announce the big "reveal".

"If you are so inclined, please wear either pink or blue if you think we are adding one more to Team Girl or Team Boy!"

"This is NOT a baby shower; just a fun way to announce baby's gender and an excuse to get together with our closest friends and neighbors." No Gifts Please.

I know, I know, HOKEY! But I really am excited about this!!!

I did the party invite on lime green stationery and the insert on lavender card stock.

I ordered a sweet little quarter sheet cake from our bakery that has green and lavender icing (stripes and polka dots) for the decoration with a little pair of green and purple booties. The white cake filling has been dyed BLUE for when we cut into the cake. It's pretty much BYOB, but in addition to pop and iced tea, I'm planning on serving PINK lemonade and BERRY BLUE Kool-Aid for the kiddos. I've also purchased a ton of sidewalk chalk, bubbles and balls for lots of backyard fun.

Mary Catherine and I are wearing pink and Benjamin and Daddy are wearing blue. The big reveal will be when we cut into the cake.

Now, just hoping the forecasted rain will hold off!

I'll post pics on the family blog after the party.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 4:12pm

I don't think it's hokey. Sounds fun! If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere, I might have considered doing something like that. I'm going to have enough of a challenge getting people to a baby shower. (My friend/baby's godmother needs my help planning it because my Mom's going through cancer treatment and is in and out of the hospital. I only hope we can plan it for a time she's going to be home.)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 4:17pm

Thanks, Karen!

I'm so glad that you are going to have a baby shower...even if you need to help plan it! That's okay and will allow you to have some input on what you'd like. After all, us 40+ gals KNOW what we want at this age! LOL

I hope that you have a great turnout...I'm thinking you will b/c people will be so excited for you...this baby deserves that!!! But most importantly, I hope your mom is able to be there. I didn't know she was facing this struggle at this time in your life.

Any ideas on a baby shower "theme"?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 5:28pm

>>Any ideas on a baby shower "theme"?<<

That's one of the details I may leave up to the Godmother. She mainly needs my help with the guest list and directions. Unfortunately, many of my old friends live about 7 hours away in New Jersey (or further), so I'm not sure I'd even invite anyone who lives that far (don't want people to feel obligated to send a gift when it's unlikely they'll be able to make it).

It has been challenging to have my Mom sick, but she's hanging in there like a trooper and it's very likely she'll still be here in August to meet her last grandchild (she has several others from two of my older sisters).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 6:23pm
Wow, what a great idea! Your party sounds like so much fun -- you thought of everything. The kids are covered and so are the adults. I don't think it's hokey at all. If I felt better as a pregnant person and not so uncomfortable and miserable, I may have actually considered stealing your idea. : ) Well, and also if we (meaning mainly my hubby!) didn't blab to everyone we're having a boy the MINUTE we found out, LOL! Have fun with the rest of the party planning and preparing. I bet Mary Catherine will be thrilled to help with all the prep. Way to go, mama! You have to let us know how it goes!!!
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 8:18pm

I can understand not wanting guests to feel obligated to send gifts, but if there are some that you were and still are really close to, I think I'd send the invite regardless.

It's hard to live so many hours away and I will share with you what happened to me.

After all of our years of loss, we were finally having MC via IVF. Obviously we were so excited.

According to my mother-in-law (yes, I have not learned to let this go...need.to.move.on!) you don't have wedding or baby showers b/c that is just asking for gifts. So no baby shower on my husband's side of the family...whatever.

Well, Uncle Leroy dies and we show up to the funeral with babe in arms...sort of our "coming out" party if you will to show off the new bundle and one of Chris' aunts whips out a baby shower gift and says, "I kept waiting for a shower invite, but never received one, so I just saved this until I saw you."

Nice.

I sooooo wanted to call out my MIL on this, but being the nice, proper girl that I am, bit my tongue, thanked auntie for the gift and left it at that.

So, some of your friends or extended family members (if they know you're expecting) actually might be expecting an invitation to a baby shower even though they know attendance wouldn't be a possibility.

Just a thought.

Glad to hear that your mom is doing as well as can be expected and will hopefully still be with you to celebrate this little guy's arrival!

Val

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 8:26pm

Joan...how did you become 35 weeks pregnant?!!! I swear the last time I looked at your ticker it said, "28-weeks pregnant!" LOL See, time really does fly even though it doesn't feel that way to you.

I'll tell you my hesitancy on this whole gender reveal thing...

I got the idea from a blog that I follow and thought it was the cutest thing. It was their first baby and they were young, but I still thought it was a doable party idea for a subsequent baby.

Well, when I googled "gender reveal party" to get other ideas for theme/decorating etc., I came across a board/thread where the women just went to town bashing the very link that I had first discovered. They were talking about how only a self-centered woman would throw herself a gender reveal party...that nobody else in the world (except maybe the grandparents) even cares about the gender of your baby...I was flabbergasted! I guess I thought everybody cares...at least that's the way my blog followers and facebook friends have reacted. They seem to be curious and excited and can't believe we haven't share the news already.

So, I felt like the air was deflated from my balloon and really tried to make sure that people knew this wasn't a baby shower...that we weren't looking for gifts...and that this was a fun way to share the news, but also just a general bbq to get together with good friends and family.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 10:41pm
Ya know what??? Go for it! Have fun and don't give a second thought to what anyone else *might* think. The whole point of the get-together is to celebrate with good friends and family. You can never go wrong with that. Have fun, enjoy, and don't look back! : )
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 8:36am

I'm with Joan. If we paid attention to every opinion we run across on the Internet, we'd be in trouble. When I was trying to decide when to let my Facebook friends know I'm expecting, I ran into a site where people were bashing women for revealing their pregnancy on Facebook at all. I don't know about them, but most of my Facebook friends are old school buddies and I of course wasn't going to withhold the news from them. What are you supposed to do, wait until the baby's born and suddenly post a pic-- surprise!!! Or never mention that you've become a Mom? To me, it would have been weird not to say something once I knew the pregnancy was sticking.

So I say, ignore those naysayers and have fun!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 10:42am
Thanks, Joan! You're right...and afterall...this is it. I'm gettin' takin' out of the game during the c-section procedure! LOL Might as well live this last pregnancy up, right?!!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-21-2010 - 10:44am

Agree, Karen!

Can you imagine seeing someone all of a sudden post fb pics of a babe and having no idea they were pregnant or going thru an adoption process? Sheesh.

Interestingly, those women on that thread were all in their early 20s and none were pregnant. It would be interesting to see their reactions once they find out they are about to become mamas themselves! LOL

Pages