made my 1st appointment

iVillage Member
made my 1st appointment
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 10:33am

Called the doc and made my first appointment. They want to see me at 8 weeks. I am about 5 1/2 weeks now. I'm confused...nothing new. :-) From reading other boards, it seems like many had their 1st appointment earlier than 8 weeks. I just want to go to the doc and make sure everything is ok. I'm sure everything is and the dr. doesnt know everything but in this regard--they know more than I do! Is it too much to ask that they do what I want them to do and when I want them to??

Sigh..anyway..I think part of my worries is that my husband may be changing jobs and I don't think the new company's insurance is accepted at my ob-gyn. Which means I have to find a new one! And I REALLY like my doc. I've been seeing her for over 10 years and she saw me through some scary moments for me.

Life changes and I have to learn to roll with it but it doesn't mean I can't complain about it every now and then, right? :-)

Thanks for listening!

Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 11:40am

Hi there. I think eight weeks is about the norm for the first OB visit. In fact, some docs won't see patients until 10 weeks or later so don't worry about not seeing her sooner. I'm a high risk patient (Type 1 diabetic of 23+ years) and even that coupled with my being over 40 didn't cause my doc to want to see me before 10 weeks.

I know what it's like to have to leave a doc/practice you really like. I moved to Northern Ontario, Canada from a Philadelphia suburb 6+ years ago and was apprehensive about having to change OB/Gyn's. But, I'm happy to report that I like my new OB/Gyn as much as I liked my former one back in Philly. So I'll keep hoping that if you change docs, you'll get another good one. Hang in there, things usually work out... : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 11:53am

From what I've heard, 8 wks is the norm and I'm not sure why my initial one was done so early (in week 4), unless they didn't really pay attention to the date I gave them for my last period. In any case, once the PA at that hospital said it might be an ectopic pregnancy, it seemed important to have another one sooner.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 11:55am

Congratulations! If I'm reading your screen name correctly, this is your first baby? Mine too, I'm 42.

My first appointment was at 5 weeks. I expressed concern about my age and a health issue when making my first appointment, so the doctor agreed to see me sooner. She has given my pregnancy lots of attention (two doctor visits, tons of blood work and an ultrasound already, and another u/s at 9 weeks) and I'm so grateful! That, with everything looking good so far.

I hope you get to keep your doctor, or find another one you love just as much. Maybe, if you haven't already, giving your concerns as a reason for an earlier appointment could sway your doc too? Worth a try!

Good Luck!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 1:42pm

Thanks for the feedback. I havent told anyone about being pregnant yet except of course hubby :-) So, its really nice having someone to talk to and getting some feedback..especially from someone who's been there or is going there still. I think that's what I mean! lol

When I called for the appointment, I did express my concern about my AMA( hey look..I learned a new one!) and past health problems but they were like we still see you at 8 weeks. I have to call them again tomorrow for a different reason and I think I'll bring the subject up again simply because if I have to choose a new doc..I want my present doc's opinion on my list AND I would really like to have the first pre natal visit before having to change health plans. Health insurance companies are such a pain in the patootie!

Pregnancy Ticker