Over reacting or under reacting??

iVillage Member
Over reacting or under reacting??
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 1:34pm

Ok..hubby came home for lunch today. Yesterday, I mentioned an article I read that shampoo and lotions may cause danger to an unborn child. He went through my shampoos and lotions..no on the lotions and yes on the shampoo. So today, he comes home with a brand new 2 in 1 shampoo( cause he knows I like those) saying he went through the aisle reading the ingredient list and found one that was safe. Very sweet but over reacting? Or am I under reacting??

I havent found anything else that said certain shampoos and lotions may cause a danger.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as always! :-)

Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 1:45pm

How awesome that your hubby is so concerned and so involved this early on! I think this is one of those personal things... I personally haven't worried about shampoo or conditioner, but then again, I haven't read anything saying they may be harmful to the baby. I have avoided using certain facial moisturizers and/or creams if they contain certain ingredients and, if I'm staying home and don't expect to be hot or sweaty, I skip the deodorant/antiperspirant. Some women discontinue having their hair colored or highlighted and others don't. I think it really depends on what you heard, read, and believe. If you and/or hubby are at all concerned about ill-effects on the baby from any chemicals contained in these items, it can't hurt to follow the saying "When in doubt, throw it out." (or in this case, just discontinue using). : ) Just my two cents...

I should probably add that although I revised my skin care routine, I never discontinued drinking caffeinated beverages (although I cut down on them) and, I'll admit, I've even had a glass of wine and a few sips of beer while pregnant. GASP!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 2:04pm

Thanks...he is pretty awesome. Ummm moisterizers? Deodorants? hmmm I see I still need to do some more digging.

Thanks again and I have a feeling I'll be on this board for quite a while! :-)

BTW..it's so cool you used to live in Philly. I live outside of Philly.

Pregnancy Ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 2:15pm
I grew up in Bucks County (graduated from Bensalem High School), worked in Chester County (Malvern and Bryn Mawr), and moved to Canada from Montgomery County (Willow Grove area). I don't expect you to say where you live since you're presently living there, but I don't mind sharing my past residences with you since it was quite some time ago...
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 4:53pm

That is very sweet and considerate of him. But I would just caution you that if something exists, there's probably someone out there who says its bad for a pregnant woman. If you have a question about a product, a call to your doctor may be a better way than Google to decide whether or not to use it during pregnancy. My biggest concerns were my prescription meds, all of which I've discontinued but with the cautionary advice from my doctor that major depression during pregnancy can pose a greater risk to the developing baby. It's worked out well so far-- I feel better than I have in more than 10 years. As far as shampoos, soaps, and cosmetics, I still have most of the ones I used previously in my daily routine, although I did refrain from highlighting my hair during the first trimester, did it once in the 2nd, and now am badly in need of another round soon. But if I really had a question about whether something was reasonably safe, I called my doctor with it.

When in doubt, that's probably the best course. Otherwise, try not to drive yourself nuts about it.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 6:33pm
I think that is so sweet and caring of your DH to do that after you mentioned it to him. Personally I have been very careful about shampoos, lotions, fragrances, and anything with chemicals (especially parabens, pthalates, BPA and other endocrine disruptors). There are studies that clearly show a relationship between the level of pthalates in pregnant women is strongly linked to reproductive problems in their male offspring (hypospadias, smaller penis and testes size). Most any personal care or room deodorant product that contains "fragrance" contains phthalates. I try to use natural and organic beauty/personal care/cleaning products whenever possible or at least fragrance-free. Between my age and history of pregnancy complications, I figure this pg is already at enough risk as it is, so I just want to do everything in my power to minimize or eliminate any other possible risks. I know plenty of women who didn't take this route at all, and even had an occasional beer/wine or drank caffeine, and most of their babies turned out just fine, this is just my personal choice.
- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:36pm

What a sweet husband!

I agree with the previous posters that you need to do what you feel is best and right for this pregnancy.

I probably should be more conscientious about what I put on my body/face/hair, but never really have. I'm just not that granola/organic gardening type. Then again, my allergies are so bad that I don't wear/use a whole lot of perfumed products anyway.

I will tell you a funny story...we conceived our first born daughter via IVF/ICSI and while we were waiting for our 6-week u/s, we could hear our RE having a discussion with the couple in the next room. The wife was asking the RE if it was okay to eat some Swiss chocolate that her brother had brought back for her from Europe. Her husband was threatening to throw it out b/c chocolate contains caffeine.

We heard the RE start to laugh and then beg them not to throw away the chocolate, but to give it to her! LOL She said that while chocolate does contain caffeine, you would have to ingest so much to reach dangerous levels that you would be sick long before that point!

I think, like a previous poster said, when in doubt...ignore Google and call your OBs office! :)