need help with my crisis.....

iVillage Member
need help with my crisis.....
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 10:09pm
I am in a desperate situation and I am looking for anyone who could help me get through this crisis. I am currently 40 years old. My husband and I decided to try for a child together about a year ago. In July of last year I ran into an issue with my health care coverage where I have had no insurance and unable to visit my doctor. In October of last year I began noticing many symptoms of pregnancy, so I took a low-cost HPT that had 2 very pink lines. Not being convinced by that test, I took a more pricey test that was digital. The result was PREGNANT. Now I was convinced. But the next day, I got my normal period, and I just brushed it off as it was just too good to be true. Weeks went by and I continued to experience more symptoms just as they should if I was pregnant.(just so you know, I have 2 children already so I am familiar with pregnancies). After about 4 months had gone by since the positive HPT, I began feeling kicks and movements in my tummy. I went to a clinic who gave me a test which came back negative, so I was sent home, confused! As of today, I have gained about 45 lbs, my tummy is huge and very hard, I have experienced extreme diarrhea, lower back pain that makes me nauseated, and I have been having brown discharge with bright red blood. Also, I feel alot of pressure in my pelvic area and I can't stop peeing. I know this all sounds like something on the movie channel, but I am terrified I may be going into labor when my own doctors are telling me I'm not! Any advice would help me so much. Thanks again.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 4:56am
The only advice I can think of at this point is if you're desperate to know what's going on with you, go see a doc. You need to have a blood test done, and regardless of the results (negative or positive), ask about having an ultrasound. If your blood test results are negative for pregnancy, than you still need to know what's going on inside you and if your blood test results are positive, than your doc will most likely want to do an u/sound for dating purposes and to check on baby's well-being. Until you have a definitive, clinical answer about whether you're even pregnant, there's really nothing else to do. Best wishes to you.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:00pm

I really think you need to see a doctor ASAP.

You didn't say if the clinic you visited performed a blood test or urine test. Of course, urine pregnancy tests can be false positive or false negative, but blood work would definitely be definitive.

From your symptoms, it certainly sounds as if you could be pregnant, but who knows?

I think I would probably either call your regular/former OBs office, find your nearest Planned Parenthood or local health clinic, or visit your nearest ER. You need to know what is going on sooner rather than later. If you got pregnant in September or early October, you could very well be nearing your due date. And with no prenatal care, your baby could be in crisis.

While the expense of such a prenatal visit may make you hesitate, the cost of a lifetime of medical care for an undiagnosed pregnancy could be astronomical. Not meaning to scare you, but my husband is a fire/paramedic and has seen this scenario before.

Not to mention...what about your own health? What if this is not pregnancy at all, but cervical/ovarian/uterine cancer; a molar pregnancy; etc. I really advise you to seek medical care ASAP.

Best wishes,
Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:09pm
I'm so sorry you're going through this!
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 1:25pm
Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate any advice I get. I would like to give all of you a bit more info on me that will answer some questions that have been raised. The clinic I went to a month ago was a planned parenthood facility. They gave me a urine test which came back negative so I was told there was nothing more they could do for me with a negative result. 2 weeks ago I rushed to my local ER where I told them I was concerned about possibly being pregnant. I was given a blood test which also came up negative, and again, I was sent home with nausea medication. I pleaded to have an ultrasound done, but was told that it was not justifiable to do one since the blood test was negative. As of last night, I have been having strong but bearable contractions that come about every 2 hours and I have water trickling out from time to time throughout the last 2 days. With each day that goes by now, I become more and more worried. Just to hear from someone about what I am going through right now helps so much. Thanks again.
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 1:32pm
At this point, regardless of your financial situation, it sounds to me like you need immediate medical attention if you have contraction-like pain and fluid trickling out of you. Go the nearest E.R. ASAP. I really don't know what else to suggest, especially if the blood test they did at the clinic to determine whether you're pregnant came back negative. Best wishes to you.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 1:42pm

Oh my!

I would be so scared right now!

I really think you need to head to the ER. It sounds as if you are in the early stages of labor and if you are leaking amniotic fluid than either your water broke/is about to break and you could be setting yourself up for infection.

I've seen several of those shows in Discovery Health where the woman is indeed pregnant and has had numerous negative urine/blood tests. who knows why those things happen...quirky hormone levels I assume.

With an initial positive test both with a cheap and more expensive variety, I'd say it's a good possibility that you are indeed pregnant. Like I said, I would return to the ER. They can triage you and the OB on call can at least peform an exam if not an u/s.

Wishing you all the best.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 2:17pm
I just wanted to thank you again for corresponding with me about this. To have someone hear me and my concerns helps me so much when all the professionals are basically telling me I am crazy for months now. I am beginning to think I have lost it. My life now is just about waiting to see if I give birth or have to be admitted in a psych ward for what I am going through. Again, thanks for listening. Things are happening so fast right now, I'm sure I will get all my answers very soon. I will keep you posted.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 3:45pm

I wouldn't just wait to see if you give birth. If there are other signs of pregnancy, including your belly enlarging, any doctor worth his/her salt would be checking into it. I would be hightailing it to an OB-GYN or the nearest ER at this point. If the blood work still comes back negative, if I was looking pregnant and experiencing a lot of pregnancy symptoms, I'd be demanding an ultrasound either way to see what's going on in there.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 6:54pm

How are you? Were you pregnant? Did you get answers yet?

Concerned
Cindy

Photobucket 4th
Photobucket