worried about the baby not growing

iVillage Member
worried about the baby not growing
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 12:20pm

Hi all, back again.

I had a 2nd u/s yesterday. I thought I was 7 weeks 3 days pregnant- but this time the baby only measured 6 weeks 2 days. I was able to see a heartbeat but the doctor thought it was a bit slow. I am sooo worried. My first ultrasound the dr thought I should be further along (i was 5 weeks 4 day -she thought I should be 6 weeks 4 days). But my blood work just after the 1st ultrasound all checked out. Now I am waiting- I have another appointment for a 3rd u/s on Thurs. May 13th - I am PRAYING that the baby has a growth spurt and the heartbeat is stronger.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 3:06pm

Hi there.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

I've walked a similar path, but don't want to burden you with stories of loss or negativity.

Hoping and praying that you are just a week off (as u/s confirms) with calender dates and that all is well!

I will share with you this...I had no clue the date of my pregnancy b/c I was experiencing longer cycles. So even though they went with LMP date based on a 28-day cycle, I knew that was waaaay off. By over a week. The OBs office wouldn't call it good even though we saw a heartbeat at 6w1d.

Follow-up at 9 weeks showed good growth, but still off from LMP dating. This time I was panicked though b/c heart beat was low (it was a great 119 at 6w1d, but only measured 119 at 9 weeks+. I was in a panic and said to my OB that I thought the heart rate should be higher...she said, "I would've expected it to be higher too, but for now it's in the normal range (albeit, low normal) and I'm not going to worry until I have a reason to be concerned."

Okay, then.

Anyway, today I am 26 weeks+ and at my growth scan yesterday, my little man's heart rate was 154; strong and steady!

In those early weeks, each embryo/fetus develops at his or her own rate. Yes, there are parameters, but truly every baby is different and can experience huge growth spurts in a matter of a few days.

Hugs to you and lots of sticky baby vibes,

Valerie

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 9:47pm
I'm sorry to hear you're so worried based on your most recent ultrasound. I'll keep you and your baby in my thoughts. Try to remember that, just as Val already indicated, this early on, it may just be that your baby is developing a bit slower than others do. Try to remain positive and take it one day at a time. Big hugs and lots of sticky baby vibes to you.
Photobucket

Photobucket