freaking out
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 8:56am

New here and freaking out just a bit.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: mom_pg42
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 10:33am
I understand - I totally freaked out when I found out a month ago.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 12:04pm

Most of my questions are about all of the different tests......Not sure what to do?

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 2:21pm

My midwife was great about laying out the different tests at the first appointment and sending me home with information.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 3:56pm
Thank you so much for the information.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 4:39pm

I understand how you're feeling. I'm 42 and will be 43 next month and my baby boy is due in August. Early pregnancy was the most uncertain time for me. I thought the pregnancy might be ectopic for two weeks after my first positive PT. Once I found out the pregnancy was viable, I had to decide whether to discontinue the psych meds I had been taking for a number of years (my decision to stop taking them has worked out so far, but that was far from clear at the time). Then there were the questions around testing for a chromosomal issue. I decided early that because I had an additional health issue that could have made CVS or amnio a greater risk to the baby, I would just do the Ultrascreen and live with whatever odds it indicated. It brought my odds down to 1 in 447 for DS and 1 in 1700 for another trisomy, and my 18 wk+ U/S further indicated no signs of a chromosomal issue, so I'm okay with those odds. But others have screenings that come back indicating greater odds for an issue and not knowing causes great stress for them, or they just want a more definitive answer before giving birth, so they go with one of the diagnostic tests. It really is up to you what's best for you individually, but as the pp said, a good expert in reproductive issues can help lay out all the possibilities and the risks and benefits of each.

Good luck in deciding what to do and I wish you a happy, healthy pregnancy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 10:40pm

Hello and welcome. I am also 42, turning 43 right around my due date. What kind of questions do you have? Testing? There are several options and it's really up to you which ones you want to have. Some are invasive, others are not. Some have more reliable results than others.

Do some research and talk to your doctor or midwife. Be careful where you get your information from. Some websites and books are not as reliable as others. Also, people tend to give you information based on what they would/did do.

If you would like to know what I am doing (or have done already) with this pregnancy or DD (2.5 years ago) I will happily tell you.

This has ended up much longer than I intended. Congratulations, try to relax a little and take comfort in the knowledge that many women our age have happy and healthy little ones.

Lisa

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:20am
Thanks ladies for all of the great information.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:25am

Hi Lisa

I will also turn 43 before my due date.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:49pm
Congratulations! I have had my last 3 babies at 40, 42 and 45 and now I am pg again at 46 (I'll be 47 a month after this one is born.) They all turned out fine and so far this one looks great too. My oldest 3 are 13, 10 and 8. Here's wishing you a happy and healthy pg!

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 10:21am

Hello and welcome. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm sorry for the late welcome, but it's no less sincere (I thought I was being induced to have our baby esterday but got sent home. : () Anyway, your concerns are very natural. Most of us here had/have the exact same concerns. One thing to consider heavily is that you're very fortunate to have a hubby who's hapy about the pregnancy right away; many of us have found that hubby's sometimes need several months to "come around", so to speak. So try to find some happiness and comfort in that if you can.

As far as testing that's available, there are basically three options available: The first is the NT screen which is not a true diagnostic test, but rather, just a screening that looks for markers or DS in fetus. Some here on the board can chime in with when (i.e,. gestational weeks) th NT screening is don. It involves an ultrasound that measures the the nuchal fold at the base of the baby's neck and the width (I think it's the width) of the baby's nose. Blood tests are done on Mom and in my case, the Dad, too (not sure if it's standard to take blood from both parents), and a questionnaire about both parents' ethnicity and genetic background is completed. The results from all these are factored to determine the odds of the child having DS. This is strictly a screening, not a diagnostic tests so results from it are not definitive, just probability-based.

The CVS is done by taking chrionic villi fluid via needle either intra-vaginally or through the abdomen. It tests the fluid for various disorders, primarily chromosomal ones. I know much less about CVS as I've never had it done but since it can be done earlier than an amniocentisis can be done, I think it's becoming more popular. There's a very, very slight risk of miscarriage associated with having this procedure which, to my knowledge, is tied directly to operator experience and skill level. I think CVS can be done between 10 - 12 weeks but someone here can probably confirm or deny this. CVS is a diagnostic test so results from it are definitive.

The amniocentesis is done by taking amniotic fluid via needled through the mom's abdomen. It's done between weeks 16 - 18 and tests the fluid for various chromosomal disorders. Just as with CVS, there's a very, very slight risk of miscarriage associated with this procedure which is again tied directly to the experience and skill level of the person performing the procedure. Amnio is a diagnostic test so results from it are definitive.

This is what I know of each of the three screenings/tests for chromosomal wellness. I'm not an expert, and I don't claim the information here to be complete, but I'm fairly confident that what I indicated is above is accurate and gives you a good idea of what options you have. Discuss each of them with your care provider if you think you'd like you might be interested in any of them.

Best wishes and good luck to you regardless of what you decide to do.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages