Bummer...I failed my 1 Hour GTT

iVillage Member
Bummer...I failed my 1 Hour GTT
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 3:35pm

Well, I got my official notification this afternoon that I failed my 1-hour glucose tolerance test. ugh.

Not really a surprise, but was so hoping to have passed.

I didn't just "barely" fail it...I outright flunked it!

The standard cut-off for the 1-hour test is 140, but most OB offices go with 130 b/c it catches more borderline gestational diabetics.

My score... a whopping 176! Double ugh!

So here's the plan...starting today, I need to monitor my blood sugars 5X a day and begin my gestational daibetes diet. (Believe me, after having gone thru this twice I know the drill!)

I am going back in 1 week from today for a follow-up 1-hour glucose check while being on the diet...and exercising...and drinking plenty of fluids...

If I still do poorly than it will be up to my health insurance as to whether or not I have to do the 3-hour test or if due to my previous history, we can just call me gestational diabetic.

OH...and now I'm anemic too! Good grief!!!

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 12:30am
Sorry to hear that. I just had my GTT yesterday and haven't heard the results yet. Which I am hoping means I passed! I hope that things stay under control w/ the diet and you don't have to do the 3 hour test.

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 1:15pm

I took my 1hr yesterday (again, I did it at 16 weeks and had to do the 3hr and passed that and now at 28 weeks I have to do it all over again).

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-22-2010 - 8:49am
Well, shoot.

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 10:17pm
Oh, Val, so sorry to hear this news! Yes, 176 is a bit high. So although it stinks you failed the test, it's good you know that you have GD so you can hopefully get it under control for the good of both you and baby boy! I know how awful it is to test your blood, watch your carbs, and try to eat small meals and snacks throughout the day, but at least you made it this far without having to obsess over your diet, etc.. Only about two more months to go (yes, I remember all too well how two months still seems like an eternity!). I'm rootin' for ya! Hang in there and just take things one day at a time. You'll be fine.
Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 9:14pm

Thanks so much, Joan.

I knew if anyone understood and could commiserate, it would be you.

I think you're Type 1 right? Every time I get diagnosed, my heart goes out to all those that are "true" diabetics. Scientists must find a way to cure this horrible disease...the Type 2s (my grandmother and uncle) know what to do, but my heart always aches for the kids and adolescents who get diagnosed with juvenile at an early age.

Thanks again!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 11:06am

Welcome to my train! I'm diabetic and anemic, although the anemia is on its way out.

What helped my anemia may be useful to you. I bought Floradix plus herbs, a liquid iron supplement, and it has brought my numbers up every single test. So that's good. It tastes pretty good, you drink it twice a day, in 2 tsp. increments, but it has a measuring cap on top, so it's convenient.

I choke on pills like a toddler, but they make pills too, if you prefer.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 1:39pm

Hi Kelli Sue!

Thanks for your response. I will have to look into that liquid iron supplement...sounds like a great help with the anemia.

It seems as if each pregnancy, the GD is getting worse. With Mary I maintained normal blood sugar with diet and exercise...with Ben, I needed glyburide at bedtime as my fasting was high in the AM. I don't think I've ever scored a 176 on a gtt...ugh! I really am old! LOL

Was your 200 score after doing the 3-hour test? I've only done the 1-hour and was told to monitor my blood sugar and follow the diet this past week.

When I stick to the diet...my blood sugar is awesome. Always between 80 and 120 after a meal; but the minute I seem to introduce carbs into the equation, I can skyrocket pretty high.

I retest and meet with my OB tomorrow. So I guess I'll learn more.
UGH!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-01-2010 - 10:50pm

Val - yes, I'm a Type 1 diabetic. I know this sounds crazy, but I personally think diabetes is easier to control using insulin than using oral meds. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want to. I don't refrain from anything -- whether it be cake, cookies, ice cream, regular soda, or anything else. I know exactly how much insulin I need for the number of carbs I eat. So as long as my estimate of carbs is accurate (which I personally think is the hardest part of controlling my sugars) and I take the correct amount of insulin for them, my sugars remain pretty normal. Don't get me wrong, the times I mis-judge the number of carbs I'm consuming I have some serious highs (like 300+) and some serious lows (like 30's), but for the most part, my sugars regulated pretty well.

Hang in there, my friend. Keep picturing your little man inside you every time you crave something you think you shouldn't eat. That seemed to work best for me. However, I will say, that with the exception of larger babies resulting, despite all the warnings about complications that result from GD or Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes in pregnant women, in my personal experience and from what I've seen and heard, the diabetes would have to be very out of control for a prolonged period of time (i.e., like at least 3 or 4 months) for those complications to be likely. Please don't misunderstand that to mean I think women don't need to control their diabetes while pregnant (or while not pregnant, for that matter), I just think the complications resulting from it are blown out of proportion. Just my very unprofessional, unqualified opinion... : )

P.S. - Joey needed NO glucose I.V. at all. His sugars have been perfectly normal since he was born which enabled us to leave the hospital 36 hours after his birth! Woooo Hoooo! : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 7:48pm

I had similar results, I flunked my 1hr GTT with a score of 164. I did my 3 hour test this week and had to pass 2 of the 4 blood draw readings, and passed all 4 by a good margin. No GD. Maybe you would pass the 3 hour as well?

BTW I am also anemic!

- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 8:57pm

I failed my one hour too. My results also came back at 176 but I just got the results for the 3 hour glucose test and I passed with flying colors.

Chin up it may not be as bad as you're anticipating.

Pages