Pregnancy at 46

iVillage Member
Pregnancy at 46
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 12:43am

Hi everyone. I am really glad that I found this web site and can talk.

I am 46 years old and have a 25 years old son. I've been living with my boyfriend for about 4 years and now we decided to have a baby. But it makes me worried and cautious. Can I get pregnant at this age? Can I handle it after 25 years when I had my first child? I really want to have a baby , but I

iVillage Member
In reply to: ellahe
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 4:00am

Sure, you absolutely can get pregnant at this age! As a first step, you might like to take a look at a great book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility (the author is Toni Wechsler). If you aren't familiar with this book, just go to your local bookstore and most likely they'll have it. Read it from beginning to end and DON'T get discouraged when she talks about statistics about women in their forties getting pregnant. Look at John Travolta's wife.... she's 47 and expecting! Stay optimistic and read that book and then go for it!

Good luck,

Molly

iVillage Member
In reply to: ellahe
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 12:00pm

Welcome.

I'm 46 and pregnant with our first so to answer your question YES you can get pregnant at this age.

You should talk to your doctor to get some baseline testing done to determine your ovarian reserve and your "levels" for FSH, E2, etc.

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!