Pregnant at 43

iVillage Member
Pregnant at 43
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 10:15am

Hello everyone. I am 43 (will be 44 in a few weeks) and just found out that I am pregnant again. I was a bit shocked as this has happened completely naturally (I have a 16-month-old.) It appears that I ovulated early in my cycle. My last period started on May 20 and my postitive was quite strong this morning, June 8. Again, that surprised me, too.

The way I see it, I probably have a 50/50 chance of a successful pregnancy at my age. (Maybe lower?) I am going to get quantitative testing done to find out if things are progressing at the outset; I will also have them check my progesterone level, due to my age.

Of course, we hope and pray to have a healthy baby in the end, but I am mentally prepared for the alternative. My biggest fears is that the baby will have a serious defect or health problem and late-term loss. I am torn between joy and fear.

Anyway, do any of you ladies have more suggestions to help this pregnancy along? Should I just start taking progesterone cream and, if so, which one? I am a little upset because I have taken both Ibuprofin AND asprin this week! I have also been drinking more coffee than usual. Sigh.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 8:06pm

Hi Kindred Spirit!

I'm not sure what the odds are of a successful pregancy at this age.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 11:26pm

Hi kindred,

Welcome to the club. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I just turned 43 and am due in mid-August. I'm also a first-time mom to be, so I have nothing to compare this to. Although I've mostly enjoyed my pregnancy, I have to admit it's a bit of a scary ride at times. What can we do but do our best to take good care of ourselves and hope for the best possible outcome?

In terms of risks, our risks are higher. Miscarriage is the greatest risk, followed by the chance of chromosomal issues, which is actually still less than one might think. At age 44 the risk of having a baby with Down Syndrome is 1 in 38 and 1 in 26 for any chromosomal disorder (although it is less likely that babies with other chromosomal issues will survive gestation). Looked at another way, although much higher than the risk for younger women, those numbers still leave a better than 96 percent chance that the baby will not have such issues.

I did not undergo diagnostic testing for a chromosomal abnormality, but from my screening results and ultrasound, it appears my little boy doesn't have any chromosomal issues. Every time I feel him kick as I approach my due date is a nice reassurance that he'll be fine, yet I just read today that the risk of losing the baby during delivery is also higher for those of us over 40. So, while I've worked hard to try to maintain a positive attitude during my pregnancy and not succumb to gloom and doom thinking, I suppose those moments of fear will continue till he's safe in my arms (and I guess even after that, though not for age-related reasons).

Try to hang in there. Early pregnancy was the most uncertain time for me but it's possible to ride that roller coaster through to deliver a healthy baby.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 10:09am

Thanks so much for the reassuring words ladies.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 12:15pm

Hi Kindred Spirit,

I am 43 and pregnant as well!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 4:41pm
Congratulations on your pg! I know the beginning is kind of scary. I am Carol, and I am 46 and expecting #7. I also had babies at 40, 42 and 45 (and 38 and 36 and 33). So far things are going well. Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 3:57pm
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 7:56pm

I know what you mean about mentally preparing for the worst early on. I had an ultrasound in the hospital in week four, which was too early to see anything, so based on that the PA at the hospital told me it might be an ectopic pregnancy. I also had a UTI in early pregnancy. Not till it was confirmed as a viable pregnancy and the heartbeat was detected in week six did I begin to allow myself to enjoy the news. Then the constant morning sickness, headaches, fatigue, and uncertainty hit. Once I had the NT scan in week 13 and saw a real baby developing in there, waving his little fingers at me (from that point I felt certain I was having a boy), I was done for. But I'm still scared at times and, again, imagine that will last until he's safely here.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 9:37am

Hang in there.

Most pregnancies that will miscarry do so by 10 weeks, so when I made it past that point, I sighed with relief.

And most babies are born without abnormalities, and most pregnancies are routine.

That's what I remind myself, with baby #6, at age 43.

The only real difference is my back hurts worse this time. But I know some 43 year old women who complain about back aches who aren't pregnant.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 7:58pm

I think you are right about most miscarriages by 10 weeks.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 10:43pm

Welcome and congrats!

Robynne mama to Emily (3/26/99), Allison (5/13/02)

Pages