embryo adoption

iVillage Member
embryo adoption
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 2:02pm
Hi ladies, new here...I was just hoping someone could give me some info on embryo adoption. I live by a clinic that has donted de embroys up for adoption and I wanted t lnow if anyone has had success. Thank...
iVillage Member
In reply to: syme5
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 1:15pm

I haven't done this but I can tell you we were on the waiting list for embryo donation and a few months away when our last IUI finally worked. One thing I can tell you is that there is a difference between embryo donation and embryo adoption. With embryo donation, it is anonymous (you can get matched for physical characteristics and get health history though), and there is no cost except for the embryo transfer (about 2K at my clinic). It is generally done through clinics. On the downside, it can be hard to find embryos and there may be a waiting list- it was about a year at our clinic, and embryos were reserved for existing patients who had been unsuccessful with other treatments. With embryo adoption, this is generally done through private agencies, most of which have a religious (christian) affiliation. You have to pay agency fees and may need to have a home visit etc and pay for that too, and you need to meet the "standards" of the donating couple and the agency (may be a major issue if you are not christian or are mixed-faith, mixed-race, lesbian, unmarried, or anything else they have issues with). Arrangements vary from anonymous to open depending on the wishes of the donating family and the agency. It generally costs $4,000-$7,000 per try. In my opinion, and for us personally, embryo donation is clearly preferable if you are looking to receive embryos and you have access to such a program. If you have this opportunity through a clinic it sounds like it may be embryo donation. From what I've read chances average about 30% per try, though your chances may be higher or lower depending on the receptivity of your uterus, the number of embryos transferred, and and the quality of the embryos donated. Your best chances are with 5-day blastocysts from a young woman. Remember that most donated embryos are what is leftover after another couple has completed their family, so they already transferred the "best" looking ones. On the other hand, at my clinic, most donated embryos were leftover from couples who had used an egg donor, so they may be higher quality in general.

In general I think this is a wonderful and affordable alternative to egg donation or traditional adoption, especially if you have the opportunity to do the lower-cost embryo donation.

You might want to check out the Donor egg/donor insemination board to find people who have done this.

- Jenna
iVillage Member
In reply to: syme5
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 7:52am

Hi Jenna,

First off, Congrats !! You have surely been blessed... I guess this would be embryo donation as this is through a clinic from a couple that used de/ivf and were successful and are donating them.. its cositng 4800 plus 500 meds.. but thats still good..

thanks for all of your info... so helpful sweety..

good luck to you and hope you have a healthy happy nine mths!! :)
god bless..