Hi everyone...new here!

iVillage Member
Hi everyone...new here!
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 12:25am

Hi everyone...I am new to this board, and very happy to be here!

I am 41 and just took a pregnancy test on Monday, which was positive. Wow! My husband of almost 15 years and I had only within the past three or four months decided "not to try, but not to not try either." We have been the two of us for so long, and just wanted to let nature take its course. This is the first time I've ever seen a positive pregnancy test before and while not unexpected, it was kind of shocking to see!

I know it's still early, so we are "cautiously excited" at this point. I know that many of you can probably relate. My last period began on May 21, so that means I will be five weeks on Friday. I'm lucky in that I've always been very healthy, and am being super-healthy now! Taking a good prenatal with lots of folic acid, staying away from sugar and processed foods, eating lean meats and fresh fruits and veggies, and drinking lots of water.

I just started a new job and my insurance won't kick in until right around my 14th week, so my first prenatal visit will be out of pocket. I'm trying not to stress too much about this, as it sounds like some of the more expensive procedures (like amnio and AFP screening) are not done until the second trimester.

Speaking of testing, is there anyone here who has opted out of testing? I would like to learn as much as I can about my options as early as possible.

I look forward to reading more of everyone else's stories as we progress in our pregnancies! (Who said that "over 40" was too old? No way!)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 10:18am

Welcome to the board & Congratulations!

I opted out of testing until the 20 week ultrasound - which showed the baby looking great.

Six years ago at age 36 I had a wonderful pregnancy and very healthy baby with no testing whatsoever, not even the ultrasound, so this time around I just added

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 10:49am

Congratulations, Kristen!!

Just wondering, did you take a preg. test before your missed period? If so, how many days?

CONGRATS!!!!!

-Dianne, 41 yo
DH 37

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 12:11pm

First off - Congratulations!

My DH and I opted out of all genetic testing.

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 3:55pm

Hi Kristen,

Congratulations!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 10:12am

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

After getting over that initial shock of the positive pregnancy test, the excitement level is rising with my hubby and me. Yesterday I called and scheduled my first appointment with my OB/GYN. She is fantastic, and has been treating me for years for my annual exams, and a surgery back in December to remove a uterine polyp. I'm so happy that she is an OB, in addition to GYN!

My first appointment is on July 29th and is a nurse's consultation to get family medical history, answer questions, get information, etc. My first actual OB appointment is August 9th, I will be in my eleventh week. Insurance-wise, no cost for the first appointment, and just a $50 deposit for the second appointment and they will bill me later, or bill insurance if insurance will work retroactively. I will actually have a decent health savings account September 1st. Needless to say, this took a great weight off my shoulders.

I've been reading about tests, and so far the only one I'm sure that I will want is the triple screen. Then, we'll see.

One of you asked how soon I tested...I did three days after my missed period. I am usually every 27-28 days, like clockwork, so being three days late was unusual for me.

The biggest symptom so far for me are actually TWO biggest symptoms...my breasts are sore and look bigger already! I have always been a pretty trim person, and fairly small chested, and now I look like I actually have some cleavage! Yowza!

No morning sickness yet, but I did wake up this morning feeling a little queasy, which passed fairly quickly. This will be an interesting thing to watch...I'm normally a pretty "vomitous" person, and have been known to throw up at the sight or smell of rotting garbage or dirty cat litter, when not pregnant.

Which brings me to another plus of being pregnant...off cat litter duty!!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 11:05pm
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you have a wonderful 9 months!

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7