46 & all knocked up

iVillage Member
46 & all knocked up
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 10:05am

Hello

So much for chances of infertility after 40! This is my second PG in the last year. This time last year I had a March 15 2010 due date and had a MC in late August and this year I have a due date of March 15 2011. Talk about a do over. Plus my kids are 21 and 24.

Last year the PG was a surprise. I was the happiest person on the planet. I had not explored PG in 40's so had no idea there was an outcome besides a healthy baby, after all it's been 21 years since I researched anything on babies. The MC was totally devastating, and I mean totally. I started having lots of anxiety and taking some anxiety meds. I wanted that baby so bad. I had made so many plans already.

So I decided in September 2009 that I would announce I was PG again on July 15th 2010, my husbands deceased brothers birthday. On July 14th eve I bought the test and yes it was positive. (eerie sound effects play here).

So, knowing what I know now about PG after 40 I am a little messed up, feeling very knocked up with my low blood sugar and numb feet and need to eat and sleep all the time. I won't do what I did last time, buying baby clothes. I think it will be a long time into this PG before I believe it, partly because I decided the day I would find out I was PG and because of the MC and waiting to do those tests.

This will be my last PG no matter what, I won't go through this again. I leave it in the hands of the angels and hopefully my baby Noble will come to be, to me, as a perfectly healthy and beautiful baby in March of 2011.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 12:25pm

I'm sorry you experienced a painful loss. Sounds like you have a great attitude about your pregnancy, though, hoping for the best possible outcome while taking it in stride. The odds, particularly when it comes to miscarriage, can be scary, but the crew of us here approaching the end of full-term pregnancies after age 40 (even 45 and up, including a 46-year-old about to have her baby next week) show that it's not only possible, it's happening all the time.

Sending you lots of sticky baby vibes and best wishes for whatever life has in store.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 2:07pm

Congratulations!

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 7:06pm

Welcome to the Pregnant Over 40 Board! We are on the same timeline so it is nice to have another newbie on the board.

baby development
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 9:38pm

Congratulations!

So sorry to read of your loss last year at this time. It is funny how the timing works out on things.

I had a loss in December of 2008 (around 10-weeks) with a July 5th due date. 4th of July 2009 was a difficult holiday...especially receiving a package of Enfamil formula in the mail that week. :(

Who would guess that one year later I would get pregnant almost around the exact same time (just a few weeks later)and have a due date of late July/early August. Needless to say, this year's 4th of July celebration was that much more special being 9 months pregnant!

The irony for me is that after years of infertility and loss, we eventually resorted to IVF/ICSI to conceive our first born. I delivered her just 3 weeks shy of my 35th birthday. We were told that we had a less than 1% chance of ever conceiving on our own naturally.

Well, like you, I went on to conceive naturally at 37 and delivered a healthy baby boy and then again at 39 (mc) and now again at 40 to be just a mere 10 days away from delivery! 1% chance (and I'm over 40!) my butt! LOL

Anyway, wishing you lots of sticky baby vibes. And like the others before me, try to pamper yourself, not read too much into the scary statistics, and reveal only what info you want to whom and when that makes you feel comfortable!

Blessings,
Val

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 9:24pm
Congratulations on your pg! I'm Carol and I'm 46 and pg w/ #7. I will be delivering by c-section in a week! This baby was conceived naturally. I have conceived 5 times in my 40s and only had 1 miscarriage (at age 43). Like you I went on to find myself pg exactly 1 year later with the same due date a the baby I lost. That baby was born when I was 45 (conceived at 44). Now here I am w/ a bonus baby at age 46. I am thrilled. All of my babies born in my 40s (age 40, 42, 45 and now next week at 46) have been fine. I am hoping this little guy is too, but I feel very blessed to be having him no matter what. I am thinking the 1% chance of conceiving past 40 statistic is not quite accurate in a lot of cases!

Carol, mom to 6PhotobucketPhotobucket

Carol, mom to 7

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 12:47pm

Thank you everyone for the support. It's very nice especially because the only person that knows other than this board is the husband. He was destroyed over the last MC so I don't talk much about it to him. I am very irritated and overwhelmed by the physical and emotional things brought on in this PG. I went to the emergency room two nights ago because of numbness and tingling in my feet, legs, arms and hands, constant headaches, fatigue etc. They did an cat scan and electrolyte test and it was fine. They said I need more vitamins and water. Don't we all. I already take a pre natal vitamin and eat all the lean meats, fruit, vegetables, whole grains, milk and healthy stuff I can fit in my stomach.

I want to know right now what my HCG levels are. When I had the MC I waited to miscarry naturally and it was brutal. I can't imagine feeling like this to have another MC and if it did happen I would take the D&C right away. I'm too foggy minded to do what needs to be done, like find a doctor and the twenty other things on my list that are not done because I feel like crap and my brain makes me feel like I am dreaming and need to wake up. My head is pounding still and my feet are numb and tingles run up and down my legs and when I stand on my feet I can't even feel them. I feel cold, hot, sick, tired but use my mind as much as I can to tell myself to be strong, get up and do what needs to be done. My arms and legs twitch and my neck feels like it needs a chiropractor. All this at about 6 weeks? At least if I knew this one would work out it would be easier. Guess everyone here is in the same boat. Thank you for helping me.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 1:26pm

A pregnancy/pediatric chiropractor would probably be able to end all of those annoying symptoms for you. I know mine did, and I only wish I hadn't waited until pregnancy #6 to find one.

There's no use feeling any more miserable than you have to, you know?

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

KelliSue

Laugh a little - www.kellikolz.blogspot.com

pregnancy

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 3:06pm

Hi Kellisue

Yes you are right. Chiropractors are amazing. If I make it through this unexpected bleeding/spotting and I'm still pregnant that's where I will go first. (I posted elsewhere on the board about this.) Excellent recommendation. It works for a lot of people.

Wendi