Newly pg and freakin out

iVillage Member
Newly pg and freakin out
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:41am

Hi, I just got a postive pg test yesterday, completely shocked, thought I was going into menopause.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 8:07pm

Of course you're shocked.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 10:23pm
Wow, what a great response and what a great outlook! I'm 42 and just had our third child three months ago -- the idea that I still need to be "Joan" and not just "Mom" still hasn't taken effect with me. I agree it's important to a woman to have a sense of her self, I just haven't figured out yet how to accomplish it, lol. Thanks for the reminder. : )

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:48pm
Hello and congratulations! I am 42 and just had our third child three months ago. My doc saw me when I was about eight weeks pregnant but I know of quite a few "older" women who didn't see their doc until about 10 weeks pregnant. Other than refer me for genetic counseling (for me to decide what, if any chromosomal testing I wanted), he really didn't do anything different with me than he did with his other non AMA patients. And I happen to be a Type 1 diabetic of 25 years. There are some increased risks, but in my opinion, people don't really understand the stats they often spew out. For instance, a healthy 25 year old woman has a 1:2500 chance of having a child with Down Syndrome. As 41 year old woman has something like a 1:62 chance. Seems scary, right? Until you do the math... Odds of 1:62 mean that you still have almost a 99% chance of having a child who isn't a Down Syndrome child. Therre are other chromosomal abnormalities besides DS but they're even less common than DS and, in most cases, often result in miscarriage. Miscarriage is greater for women over 40 but I don't have statistics to quote for that. Probably the first thing to do is call your OB if you haven't already to schedule an apptmnt. His or her office will probably refer you for a blood test to confirm the pregnancy before scheduling an apptmnt (maybe not, I guess it depends on the office), and if you're not already doing so, you should probably start taking a prenatal vitamin that contains Folic Acid (I think they all do, just make sure). My doc didn't prescribe prenatals for me, he simply recommended OTC ones which I took with all three of my pregnancies. Good luck and best wishes to you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 8:12am

Wow, congratulations! I know exactly what you are going through.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 3:43pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I'm much calmer today, even a little excited although that scares me after 4 years of infertility and getting my hopes up every month only to have them dashed, hoping that it all works out for the best.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 5:15pm

I'm almost 44. I have had the same kind of pregnancy at 43.8 as I did at 30. I'm still insulin dependent diabetic, and I am still cranky when I'm overtired.

I declined all the genetic testing, had a few u/s, and we're due in about 6 weeks.

Easy Peasy.

I get an u/s at 8 weeks to make sure we have a heartbeat, as I had two m/c in a row last year.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 7:12pm

I am also 42 and found out I was pregnant on mothers day of this year. Honestly I was shocked and devestated. my youngest is 15 and my oldest is 23, I thought I was sooo close to done. My 6th test was at the drs. office where I begged the nurse to tell me I was not pregnant. I called the drs office to see when they wanted to see me considering my age. They didnt set my appointment till I was 12 weeks. I am now 20 weeks. Found out a couple weeks ago it is a girl. My husband is thrilled and that helps me to accept it a bit more. I know babies are blessings but I also thought I was going through menopause and it is just a toughy to adjust to starting all over again. Time helps adjust to the news. still a shocker but not so upsetting anymore. Best wishes to you

Brenda

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-28-2010 - 9:16am

Hi,

Since finding out I was pregnant at 42 without really trying, I have tried to maintain a positive attitude. With all the focus on risk factors, that can be a challenge for any pregnant woman, let alone those of us over 40. But I don't have other kids so I knew very early I would carry the baby to term if I could. It's all worked out well-- had what seems like a pretty routine pregnancy, except that my baby boy turned sideways and moved back up in my uterus at the end of my pregnancy, so I ended up having a c-section, but I don't think any of that had to do with my age, and I'm recovering well from the c-sec. I just had a healthy baby boy 2 and 1/2 weeks ago at age 43 and I wouldn't change a second of my pregnancy if I could, even the times of worry-- they just show that I'm alive!

Sending you lots of sticky baby vibes and best wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy. Hang in there!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 7:38am

I agree with alot of what PP said. You have already beaten the most difficult odds by getting a natural BFP in your 40s. Try to get an u/s around 8 weeks to make sure the pg is viable. I am on another board with a mix of ages because I hate to be a labeled as just AMA. I cannot believe how many women in their 20s lose pgs early on! I wasn't on a bb in my first trimester with DD so this has been really eye opening for me. Odds in 40s for probs in the first trimester are greater...I believe it to be in the range of 38% loss. (!) PP are right that even with the higher stats of birth defects for older moms, your odds are 99% that you will have a normal, healthy child. Nature is a strong force...once you are in week 14 with a confirmed heartbeat you pretty much have hit a home run.

baby development