Completely Unexpected

iVillage Member
Completely Unexpected
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 9:27pm
Hi all, I am very happy to have found this board and look forward to the discussions and valuable information all of you can provide. I will be 43 in November and just confirmed the results of a positive home pregnancy test at the doctors today. I had sadly given up on the idea that I would ever have children given my age and the fact that I am currently not married. This pregnancy is definitely a blessing but I am very worried about everything I have been reading about the risks of having a baby when you are over 40. I also am extremely worried about how to pay all the expenses since due to a lay off I currently do not have any health insurance. I am working but it is a contract position and therefore doesn't offer any benefits. This worries me mostly because of the increased potential of premature birth, etc. Well anyway, I am looking forward to this journey and to sharing with all of you.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 8:02am

Welcome!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 9:22am

Thanks for your reply Cari. Sounds like we are on a similar path. I have been doing consulting for the last several years after losing my previous job as a result of the company going bankrupt. I currently have a contract but that ends at the end of the year. I am not sure they are going to want to renew the contract since I am pregnant. Since I have not that far along yet I have not told them. I was able to find a new insurance program called the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan that I am trying to get coverage under. The premium is on the high side but it would give me a huge piece of mind to have insurance.

I am going for an ultrasound on the 14th but right now they are setting my due date for the first week of April. We are due in the same month :-) Is this your first?

Kim

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 12:31pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-01-2010 - 12:55pm

Hi Kim and Congrats!

I am 43 (will be 44 in December) and am due March 1st. I as well do not have health insurance. I have a high deductible catastrophic health plan for myself but it does not cover maternity. What I did is sign a contract with my OB for $3600 which covers all of her appointments and a c-section. I then have to pay all lab fees (incl a $1500 amnio). We make too much to qualify for financial help through programs like Medicaid. Check with your state to see what the income limits are. If you don't qualify, don't give up -

baby development
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 2:26pm

Kim,

I have my first ultrasound on the 14th as well, very anxious to see what's cooking in there.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 8:22pm

Call your local health dept. and find out about insurance for pregnant women through your state. You'll either pay a sliding fee based on salary, or you'll qualify for free insurance, depending on your circumstances.

I'm almost 44 and have a good pregnancy experience. Not the easiest at this age, but I was diabetic before the pregnancy too.

Andy, Gerard, Sarah, Merina and Emma call me Mama,

but you can call me

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 8:30pm
I feel exactly the same Cari. I want to know. I am scared to know. But in the end for me I have to know. I am having mine done at 18 weeks so the risks are miniscule. Did I mention I hate needles?

Renee, 43, EDD 03/05/11

baby development
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 8:43pm
Hi all, thank you very much for all your support and advice. Unfortunately I had a miscarriage last night. A truly horribly experience. I made the mistake of letting myself get sooo excited about all of this even though it was unplanned and very shocking at first. I had gone out and bought all these books about pregnancy that now I can't even stand to look at. I guess I jumped the gun a little bit. So sorry to be a downer and I wish all of you the very very best and thanks again.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 7:07am

Kim -

:(

I am so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself.

Renee, 43, EDD 03/05/11

baby development
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 3:19pm

Kim,

I'm so sorry!, It's hard to get your hopes up and then have them dashed like that, I hope you will take time to be extra good to yourself...take care.